How to restore a system backup (admin level)

stof

Verified User
I found this tutorial about creating and restoring a backup.

It is a very good tutorial when it comes to the admin backup, reseller backup and user backup.

I can also find how to create a admin level system backup. But what I can not find there is how to restore a system backup step by step. I read there is no one click backup possibility for this kind of backup.

But where can I find how to restore a admin level system backup? Is there a step by step tutorial out there?

I have a vps with directadmin but before I update something I would like to know how to restore a system backup.

Is there a tutorial out there with best practices on how to do these things?

Thanks!

No but I think you asked a very good question. I also looked everywhere on where the restore option is, but even in the new Docs, I could only find that one could restore it, but not now.

Maybe @smtalk can explain?

This is one area I wish DA had a bit more depth / options. I've been very happy with the stability of the system, but if something goes wrong with the server, I'm wondering how hard / fast it would be to rebuild. I wind up taking snapshots of the server, and maybe that's the best option, but I have to take the server offline for about five minutes to take one.

I'm wondering how hard / fast it would be to rebuild.
That depends on the amount of customisations you've done. If you have a backup of all accounts and a backup of the directadmin.conf and options.conf then in fact (without customisations) you have everything you need to rebuild the system again for a standard setup.
If you have OLS or something like that, then you might need configs of that too.

We just use apache, so fairly standard setup, with self-installed CSF with a couple of custom scripts for it. If we have to rebuild a server, it takes a couple of hours. First install DA, then instell the extra's like installing LE again and automatic DKIM and stuff, firewall, scripts, then restoring all accounts and in fact all is running again then. After that it's only doing some tweaks I like.
Maybe it can be done even faster, but this is the way I do it when we are moving from one server to another server, which is basically the same.

My previous supplier had a snapshot system (for my vps) with which I could set things back when an update didnt went as expected.
The server didn't need to go offline by the way. How it worked however I dont know.

Now I don't have that possibility. I create a admin backup every night of all packages (around 30 websites) on that VPS. The backups are sent to a different server.
So in theory I can deploy a new vps with directadmin and start all over again but that is not ideal in my eyes. After deployment I do a yum update, add csf firewall, change name of the server, add custom build and thats about it.

I look for an easy way to restore the complete system including the websites. And for a way to restore the system without the websites.
I think the second might work in most cases?

When I create a system backup there is a folder with a date with many zip files in so many zipped folders..
don't know what to do with it.

I do a yum update, add csf firewall, change name of the server, add custom build and thats about it.
So you also do custom CSF? Because since some time nowadays, CSF firewall gets installed automatically with directadmin. Also it's better to add csf firewall after installing DA instead of before it. Because if you install custom, you can use the ./install-directadmin.sh script and DA's ports will get added automatically.

I know about snapshots but that indeed differs from VPS provider to VPS provider if they have that service or not.

I've no clue on the system backup either, didn't make one yet.

My previous supplier had a snapshot system (for my vps) with which I could set things back when an update didnt went as expected.
The server didn't need to go offline by the way.
You can take a snapshot without going offline, only problem is on a busy server you do risk having corrupt data or a partial transaction.

Thanks for your answer.
Ah okay I see. Thought I had found something with which I could mirror the vps with.. ))
Still no good solution creating and putting back a backup of a complete vps including everything. ((

Back