Problem with DocumentRoot on newly created subdomains

pablotose

Good afternoon,

In the last DA update the location of the subdomains has changed from "/home/{user}/domains/{domain}/public_html/{sub}" to the new path "/home/{user}/domains/{subdomain}/public_html"

There is an option to be able to manually change the DocumentRoot of the subdomains but it involves having to move/create the directory created to the original location.

Is it possible to make the document root of the created subdomains default again so that the directories are created in their original location?

Thanks for your answers.

The same issue here is that a bug or just going to be permanent

no, now you must change subdomain docroot to needed one.
I set up the subdirectory sub.domain.com . however the docroot showing red as you see in the snap shot. why? it means that there something wrong. however I installed Wordpress on the subdomain and works fine. to me, but I have the feeling that there si something need to be done but I am not aware of. Esapiacially while I am using openlite speed
according to this https://directadmin.com/features.php?id=2573

"
TEMPLATES openlitespeed_vhost.conf Because the OLS template is a single file for domains, subdomains, and http/https, minor changes were needed to allow the SDOCROOT to be set globally, to override the DOCROOT token in the template: Set AFTER the CUSTOM token: |?SDOCROOT=`DOCROOT`/`SUB`| |*if SUB| |?DOCROOT=`SDOCROOT`| |*endif| where SDOCROOT is not set if it was already loaded globally (which is what the override file does) ---- T21547

do I need to do this in openlite speed. can you help pl. thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 7.30.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 7.30.39 PM.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 79
If the default new location is /domains/subdomain/public_html, why does it say Custom on the control panel? Shouldn't it say Default? This is confusing clients...

Shouldn't it say Default?
As Zhenyapan said, the "custom" is to point your attention to the fact that you can customize it.
It's not much use imho to say "default" because if it's not default, why would one see it in the first place?
Next to that, it might not be possible to display "default", because on a bit older systems which also make use of subdomains, this was not possible and the default docroot there is still /domains/public_html/sub and there are more old than new installations (with custom subdomain) out there, so that might cause more confusion then the current situation.

IMHO it should have been kept as it was, like /domains/public_html/sub and then there the custom button so the docroot could be customized.
I haven't seen the new system yet as our servers still make use of the older setup from before this subdomain docroot change.

Picture this:
A client goes in Subdomain Management, it has existing (old style) subdomains that say "Docroot: Default". Then it creates a new subdomain that say "Docroot: Custom" with an exclamation mark. But the client didn't customize anything and worries something went wrong and contacts support. This happened multiple times for us. We had to explain it over and over again to clients. Perhaps if "Custom" was changed with "New Style" or something, would cause less confusion.

Then it creates a new subdomain that say "Docroot: Custom" with an exclamation mark.
As said, i didn't see the new system yet. I was under the impression that on the older system, the subdomains would still be created the old way.
Seems not, I just tested.
In the Enhanced skin it all looks just fine and easy for the customer to understand.
In the Evo skin indeed, if you already have an old type subdomain, then you have a default and a custom with exclamation mark. In fact that is correct, because the new default is a custom public_html.

But this indeed also works confusing for the customers, you're totally correct.
They should just keep the document root as it always have been, and only show the custom if the user customized it. It's unclear now.

Back