2nd ip not visible anymore??

Richard G

Verified User
Hello.

I don't know if something changed in Centos 7 or if something changed with Directadmin.

Previously in SSH when running the ifconfig command, I could see both ip's, so both ethernet devices, for example the real one eth0 and the one made by Directadmin being eth0:0 in this example and ofcouse LO (localhost device).
We did not need to create this in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to be visible.

However, at this moment we're running the newest DA version with Centos 7.7.1908.

When running the ifconfig command now in SSH, only the hardware ethernet device ETH0 is visible and LO.
The second ip is working, but not visible via ifconfig anymore.

Issue is occuring on multiple servers and not only my own. Also with a collegue.

Why not? Can DA fix this so the additional ip(s) will be visible again when running the ifconfig command in console?

Why not? Can DA fix this so the additional ip(s) will be visible again when running the ifconfig command in console?

This may not solve it, but it jumped out for me. Try typing "ip address" and using the "ip" command instead. I was blasted a few months ago for using "ifconfig" instead of the "ip" command, since ifconfig for network management was deemed obsolete (or something like that).

I see similar behavior on my server where "ifconfig" only shows the first address while "ip address" shows all.

Thank you, that's it, you're right.

Now you mentioned it, I remember the net-tools (with ifconfig included) has indeed become obsolete. I wonder why they always need to change easy things like that.

The "ip address" or maybe better "ip -s addr" command indeed shows them, thank you!

Correct, but with ip -s addr you get kind of the same output as ifconfig gives, which lets you see RX and TX dropped packets, errors etc., that's why I liked ifconfig so much. Nice and clear overview with all info directly visible.

Back