Admin user cron jobs?

Shoot Richard, I just told Kal we are old, dang it all I am sorry..
Darn... if you keep going this way, then in a couple of weeks everybody knows we're old.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LoL. 😂 😂 No problem brother, you know. :)

Indeed we sometimes tend to get the living chat room feeling.;)

I suppose this is as good a time as any to confess that my photo was taken a little while ago. The beard has a few more grey hairs these days.
Welcome to the club. As you can see I don't even dare to post my photo so ugly am I (don't tell others), so I posted a photo of one of my dogs. :)

This has now been fixed in the latest version of the Evolution skin. It's not yet been released in DirectAdmin (1.61.0), but on John's advice I downloaded the pre-release binaries and it's working beautifully. I am now able to login as admin, switch to User level and create a cron job in Advanced Features > Cron Jobs (no admin domain necessary). :D

I still don't understand the problem. Just add a fake domain and then you have access to cronjobs.

I still don't understand the problem. Just add a fake domain and then you have access to cronjobs.

Thanks for the suggestion Floyd. I hadn't thought of that. You're a little late to the party though—the problem has already been fixed. That's gotta be preferable to a fake news domain workaround, no? :)

Thanks for the suggestion Floyd. I hadn't thought of that. You're a little late to the party though—the problem has already been fixed. That's gotta be preferable to a fake news domain workaround, no? :)

I've been using DirectAdmin for 15 years and that situation has always existed in Enhanced skin. I just added domain.com and moved on. I never thought of it as a problem. It was just a little weird to come here and see this whole thread about it.

I've been using DirectAdmin for 15 years and that situation has always existed in Enhanced skin.
And no, in Enhanced skin we do not get a message as admin that we need to create an admin domain. At least not until a few weeks ago.
Floyd, you're welcome to argue the point with other Enhanced users if you want to. As I said, I haven't used other skins—I'm new to DA and I was only going from what John said in my support ticket. He implied that it was an Evo issue, and since Evo was updated, the problem has gone away. You can draw your own conclusions.

I just added domain.com and moved on. I never thought of it as a problem. It was just a little weird to come here and see this whole thread about it.
If I need to create fake domains to get things done in DA, I see that as a problem. So we're different. Call that weird if you like, but the problem is fixed and I'm happy. Over and out from me.

Floyd, you're welcome to argue the point with other Enhanced users if you want to.
I didn't argue with Floyd. I only stated that unlike in Evo, there is no mandatory message to create an admin domain in Enhanced. Nothing more, nothing less. We don't disagree on that as far as I know. ;)

For the rest I agree with you. It can be done with fake domains, but I don't like fake stuff either and there are good arguments to work as admin in another way and to which a cronjob is needed without having extra fuzz. I just like your idea.

Reactions: Kal
I didn't think we were arguing. I guess I just work around problems without even thinking about it. If there is some kind of road block I just take another route. There is nothing irritating about it. I actually feel a sense of accomplishment. It starts getting irritating when I try several different things and nothing works.

I guess I just work around problems without even thinking about it. If there is some kind of road block I just take another route. There is nothing irritating about it. I actually feel a sense of accomplishment.

I understand. I'll occasionally write my own script to add a missing features to an app, or add JavaScript to an HTML template to coerce it to do what I want. You might recall that this whole thread began because I'd written my own script to backup to S3—again to workaround a limitation of the software. So you know, not averse to a bit of tinkering!

But I'm also not averse to pestering developers and filing bug reports when I think something needs to be fixed. A real fix always trumps a kludgy workaround IMO. That benefits all users, not just me. Any good developer (who aspires to make their products the best they can be) welcomes legitimate feedback and bug reports, and I get the feeling the DA devs fall into that category.

Back