After installation, but how do i make my ns1.server-mydomain.com to work

tomwin

Verified User
Hi, When I did my new installation and created a new account for the license with Directadmin I had to specify my server name. So I choose the name I also used when I set up my new CentOs 8 installation. Now after the installation i do got 2 name server name
ns1.server-mydomain.com
ns2.server-mydomain.com
but they doesn’t seem to be working. If I add these on my domain provider in dns to point these to my server they won’t accept them.
So I have to point my domain to my VPS with A records. to make it to work.
I can’t find any solution or don’t really don’t know how to or what to search for to find an solution for this.
When I go in to my Directadmin panel under DNS of the domain I can see these 2 name server name there.
So the question is, why isn't these 2 name server above working. Why can’t I add these to my domain name.
What do I need to do?

You must create glue-records (host records) at your domain registar, then you will be able to use this subdomains as NSs for this domain and all another.

I can’t find any solution or don’t really don’t know how to or what to search for to find an solution for this.
There are lots of posts on the forum on how to create nameservers including a step by step of me (using enhanced skin).
Don't use hostnames as nameservers, use domain names.
So not ns1.server-mydomain.com but
ns1.mydomain.com
ns2.mydomain.com
also on DA in the dns section of mydomain.com they have to be present there too and you need 2 A records for both there too. It's best to check the various manuals you can find on the forums here.

Next to that, you must have your domain pointing to your nameservers at your registrars, called glue records like Zhynyapan said.

If you did this, it can take up to 72 hours before your nameservers are propagated on DNS servers over the world so they also will be recognized as nameservers.

Back