After Update DA 1.646 Imap doesn't work

inomi13

Verified User
I have an issue because after updated DA 1.646 and dovecot 3.20 Imap doesn't work.

I had to rollback update Devcot to 3.19.1 and now IMAP works so I don't know what is wrong with new version.

Last edited:
Pity to hear, many server are upgraded to 1.646 and we dont have this problem.
Was you able to login by Roundcube ? any error in your logs ?

Last edited:
After the update sometime early on 1-6-23 my Imap isn't working either. I restarted DA but have not rebooted the server.

Webmail through the DA control panel works fine as does pop3.

DirectAdmin has been successfully updated.
v1.645 (4c6940b) to v1.645 (c52eab6)

Can & will provide any details requested.

As Roundcube works then other IMAP clients should work to imho
1.Try to rebuild dovecot + dovecot_conf
2. Do the downgrade as topic starter did (to 3.19.1)

/var/log/maillog
Here is the relevant snipping from my first try this morning. my first attempt to check mail was about was either the 5:33 or the 5:36 entrry.
Information is red is modified for posting

Jan 6 03:21:12 server dovecot[66786]: imap-login: Disconnected: Connection closed (no auth $
Jan 6 03:21:13 server dovecot[66786]: imap-login: Disconnected: Connection closed (no auth $
Jan 6 04:22:34 server dovecot[66786]: auth: passwd-file(info@anotherdomain.com,66.71.249.146,<SV4r9ZT$
Jan 6 04:22:36 server dovecot[66786]: pop3-login: Disconnected: Connection closed: read(siz$
Jan 6 05:33:28 server dovecot[66786]: pop3-login: Disconnected: Connection closed (no auth $
Jan 6 05:36:13 server dovecot[66786]: auth: passwd-file(db474a40@mydomain.com,82.209.250.13$
Jan 6 05:36:16 server dovecot[66786]: imap-login: Disconnected: Aborted login by logging ou$
Jan 6 05:36:30 server dovecot[66786]: auth: missing passwd file: /etc/virtual/mail.anotherdomain.com/$
Jan 6 05:36:32 server dovecot[66786]: pop3-login: Disconnected: Connection closed: read(siz$
Jan 6 05:38:46 server dovecot[66786]: imap-login: Disconnected: Connection closed: SSL_acce$

Thunderbird just churns away trying get server information. I suspect it means it encountered some error.

But your lines are cropped at "$", without the complete line we cant help (almost me) you to identify the problem....

That's all nano showed, DA terminal has not worked since the previous update and I never got a response to that thread.

In the attachment log from custombuild when updating dovecot to v3.20.

Attachments

• custombuild.1672959107.25369.zip
    114.3 KB · Views: 68
If you can use nano, can't you use vi too? Or less? Because that would show all lines.

Actually now that I know it exists, I can. :) No nix guru at this location.

Unless the update changed something in the TLS settings this is most likely unrelated to the hotfix. This is the actual error message that I know for certain is my attempt to use Thunderbird this morning:

Jan 7 05:59:29 server dovecot[119948]: imap-login: Disconnected: Connection closed: SSL_accept() failed: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42 (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip= IP removed, lip=IP removed, TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42, session=<Duufbarx1UDZtMnE>

My SSl is current and active, does not renew until sometime next month. Thunderbird has a permanent exception for the mail as the cert name is not identical but is a server wide certificate.

Hmmz...
SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate:
I've seen this before, and SSLv3 is not used anymore, but this also sometimes occurs on wrong ciphers on the hostname certificate.

Can you issue this command in SSH and give me the complete output?
nmap --script ssl-enum-ciphers -p 465 localhost

Also what is your OS and version?

Hmmz...

I've seen this before, and SSLv3 is not used anymore, but this also sometimes occurs on wrong ciphers on the hostname certificate.

Can you issue this command in SSH and give me the complete output?
nmap --script ssl-enum-ciphers -p 465 localhost

Also what is your OS and version?
Thanks for your offer to help. After deciding that this was a local issue, I simply deleted the accounts from Thunderbird and added them back. TB queried the server, got the parameters, I approved the exception and everything is working just fine.

I made this determination based on the facts that: both webmail, POP3 , and mail through the DA panel were all working fine. I suppose we will never know what caused the problem.

I suppose we will never know what caused the problem.
Well things like that can happen sometimes. Maybe Windows or maybe Thunderbird hicked up for some reason.
Glad to hear it's working again and thank you for sharing the solution.

Back