All my databases have been gone or deleted suddenly

Johnws2022

Verified User
Dear Sir,

Yesterday I was working on one of my websites on the hosting server using Direct Admin; there is errors due to missing some files in functions.php which I fixed straight away. My website in question has worked well since then.

However, about an hour ago, there is a database error like:

Error establishing a database connection​

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or that contact with the database server at 127.0.0.1 could not be established. This could mean your host’s database server is down.

• Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
  • Are you sure you have typed the correct hostname?
  • Are you sure the database server is running?
If you are unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress support forums.

when trying to access WP Admin panel or even front end pages.

I then when to check in DA --> Databases, and found out all databases including the ones used by my other websites have gone; and I have not even able to create a new database. And I could not even access phpMyAdmin from DA control panel.

What could cause such an issue? Has hackers destroyed my databases or server?

Very appreciate your kind support.

Regards

Hello,

First make sure MySQL/MariaDB server is running and accepts connections (you can try it in CLI). Your server might be down, and/or databases corrupted.

Hello,

First make sure MySQL/MariaDB server is running and accepts connections (you can try it in CLI). Your server might be down, and/or databases corrupted.
Thanks. I dont use CLI; I can log into SSH, but could not even restart mySQL:

sudo systemctl restart mysqld

when running this:

sudo systemctl status mysqld

mySQL is not active.

It appears that the whole mySQL engine has been destroyed - I ll need to RE-install my server with DA.

But my question is why all my databases have been deleted suddenly about an hour ago without doing anything after I have fixed errors mentioned above?

Cheers

CLI can be accessed via SSH as well.

It appears that the whole mySQL engine has been destroyed - I ll need to RE-install my server with DA.

Why do you think so? I guess your MySQL server is in place, but databases are corrupted for some reasons. Check system logs for more details. What do you see if you type mysql and press enter?

But my question is why all my databases have been deleted suddenly about an hour ago without doing anything after I have fixed errors mentioned above?

I could probably answer this question only if I connect to your server over SSH and investigate the issue. If I connect to your server it will cost you an hourly fee.

CLI can be accessed via SSH as well.

Why do you think so? I guess your MySQL server is in place, but databases are corrupted for some reasons. Check system logs for more details. What do you see if you type mysql and press enter?

I could probably answer this question only if I connect to your server over SSH and investigate the issue. If I connect to your server it will cost you an hourly fee.
No way I should let you access my server. Thanks

Are other websites database intact ? , was this the only website on the server ?
Yes, I know that, but I dont like CLI which requires extra commands in SSH. All websites and their databases have been destroyed. I could not even copy files into their root directories. This means not only mySQL engine was destroyed, but the whole DA control panel has gone! Very strange as I have never seen this issue before?

I don't like the way you're acting here. I would ask you to be more polite. You opened a thread on the forums, where we, users and admins, share our experience. Nobody here is ever obliged to you. The questions you posted here can not be answered without seeing at least logs from a server where the issue happened. So if you want to troll anybody, then you are definitely in a wrong place.

If you need to get help you would need to help us to understand your issue. Until now you did not post anything useful. We would treat logs, error messages from CLI useful. General descriptions without log lines won't help at all.

So if you still want to get help here, kindly start posting details of the issue.

Yes, I know that, but I dont like CLI which requires extra commands in SSH.
Well, you're an admin or you're an admin wannebe. Admins can use SSH without a lot of troubles.
What you describe seems sounds a bit like somebody hacked your server and deleted stuff, but that's just guessing. DA does not destroy anything by itself.

So you have to investigate yourself and post information here or hire somebody (not me) to check for you.

Back