Allow pre-approved temporary license of DirectAdmin

sufiyanshaikh

Verified User
Hello,

Today I wanted to migrate a Server on an emergency basis however the following error occured and DA was not installed.
An error has occured. Info about the error:
no license for this IP 'XX.XX.XX.XX'

The solution of the problem is to get a temporary license by contacting support(which will take upto 24hrs) or to get a 1 month license(instant activation).
Even if we have a "spare license" of DA, it takes upto 24hrs for approval which is not good on an emergency basis.
Also if I have only 1 license and request a change of current IP, I will lose access to the "current server" and that will have higher chances of downtime in case there are issues while migration of server data.

I request DirectAdmin team to provide an "instant" temporary license for those who are doing "urgent migration" due to whatsoever reason.

(I don't have any complaints with DA as I have always received a temporary license when a support ticket is created but in emergency cases, it just increase the downtime of server)

I request DirectAdmin team to provide an "instant" temporary license for those who are doing "urgent migration" due to whatsoever reason.
Requests go here

Note Its already been asked. You only get one Trial License ever. Its not like cpanel..

it takes up to 24hrs for approval which is not good on an emergency basis.
They dont have emergency support. If you dont own any Licenses with support (Lifetime or personal) well you know you dont have support.
I will lose access to the "current server"
Not for 24 + hours. It should work until the license checking job runs on the server.
An error has occured. Info about the error:
no license for this IP 'XX.XX.XX.XX'
Because you have to purchase a License.

Note Its already been asked. You only get one Trial License ever. Its not like cpanel..
I didn't mean to get a "Trail" license to test out DA.
I am specifically talking about "license" while migrating in case of emergency.
Let me explain below what exactly I mean.

I have a running DA server with a valid license but due to some issues at Datacenter, the server got "Terminated/Deleted".
Now I already have a license for my server which got deleted and I am alloted a new server with new IP.
DA won't be licensed on new server and I will need to request IP change which I expect will take 12hrs for approval.
Now either I purchase a New license for one month or wait for IP change approval.
Until that time, I cannot even install DA on the server and start the migration process.

Because you have to purchase a License.
It doesn't make sense in the above situation!

In the provison system (not sure which you use) you should set you account to Reuse License Enable
1623015365183.png
That way it doesn't delete or term the License automatically.

In the provison system (not sure which you use) you should set you account to Reuse License Enable

I did not mean that 'my DA license got terminated'.
I mean 'my server got deleted' and datacenter gave me a new server with 'New IP'.

Now I cannot install DA in the new server as IP is not licensed and I will need to wait for the 'approval' which will cause "downtime".

(I request you to read my post carefully)
I have a running DA server with a valid license but due to some issues at Datacenter, the server got "Terminated/Deleted".
Now I already have a license for my server which got deleted and I am alloted a new server with new IP.
DA won't be licensed on new server and I will need to request IP change which I expect will take 12hrs for approval.
Now either I purchase a New license for one month or wait for IP change approval.
Until that time, I cannot even install DA on the server and start the migration process.

Hi,

I understood what you're saying and I also believe that DA should issue atleast installation licenses instantly without any efforts. I like how cPanel's automatically installs without any license etc. This should be same with DA.

BTW how the server gets deleted just like that ?

Thanks.

If it's a server migration, so move to another server, as far as I know you could just change the license ip in your customer panel and use the /auto option to install on the new server.
The old server will keep working for a little while, but just won't get any updates anymore. So in case of real emergency you could do that too.

I understood what you're saying and I also believe that DA should issue atleast installation licenses instantly without any efforts.
Yes. Or allow changing IP of server without waiting for approval which can take the 'crucial' time because in downtime, every second counts.

BTW how the server gets deleted just like that ?
Technical issues.
Hopefully, I had backups so no worries.

If it's a server migration, so move to another server, as far as I know you could just change the license ip in your customer panel and use the /auto option to install on the new server.
The old server will keep working for a little while, but just won't get any updates anymore. So in case of real emergency you could do that too.
I tried but I was not able to install DA without the approval of IP change from the support team.
Once it was approved, I was able to install DA without any issues
(I am not sure if DA was running on the old server because the server was deleted accidentally)

without the approval of IP change from the support team.
If I'm correct after a certain time this will be approved automatically with a max. of 5 times per year. So if all is good, that will change automatically after some time.
But indeed if it's an emergency, any minute of waiting is sometimes a minute too long.

If I'm correct after a certain time this will be approved automatically with a max. of 5 times per year.
Nah. A support agent should approve the change request.
At first, I thought 5 times per year a licensed IP can be changed 'instantly' without DA Team approval. But I was wrong because the 5 times which you get per year also need approval before the new IP gets licensed.

I think DA should add instant approval for the 5 times a year and then get a manual review for the 6th time and thereafter.

Back