Almalinux or rocky linux as successors to centos 8 and will DA support almalinux ?

Unifex

Verified User
Hi,
I am curious how many of the centos users here are already thinking about switching to Almalinux in 2021. https://www.almalinux.org/ or maybe to rocky linux as an alternative for a stable centos successor ?

Is directadmin going to support almalinux as OS?

thanks,

Marcel

bdacus01

Verified User
There already have been posts about this.

In general users are thinking about it but considering most have at least a year to do something the consensus is there is no rush.

DA I am sure will support something. The decision to do that will not be done based on a month or so of just general talk.

I was a Centos user and have switched some of my server to debian and freebsd. I like switching and rebuilding so it all fun for me. The ones with 100s or 1000s of servers will be waiting.

jamesf

Verified User
I am currently using centos7 , but can't decide between centos 8 with almalinux or Ubuntu 20.10

alwaysbusy

Verified User
I have on my servers CentOS8. I will wait until end of the year at least and then decide, what i will do. At moment there is no need to rush, like bdacus01 said it already, as long as you have only a hand full of servers and not thousands.

Until the year we should see already, which version is "the one to go" and also which version directadmin is supporting. For me personal i hope, its a version, which is really easy to change to, like almalinux for example said "with a simple command you can switch from centos8 to almalinux". But if its in the end really easy like this, nobody knows at moment. Only time will tell... Patience is the key at moment.

Greets

jonprocter

I have on my servers CentOS8. I will wait until end of the year at least and then decide, what i will do. At moment there is no need to rush, like bdacus01 said it already, as long as you have only a hand full of servers and not thousands.

Until the year we should see already, which version is "the one to go" and also which version directadmin is supporting. For me personal i hope, its a version, which is really easy to change to, like almalinux for example said "with a simple command you can switch from centos8 to almalinux". But if its in the end really easy like this, nobody knows at moment. Only time will tell... Patience is the key at moment.

Greets
As far as I'm aware, DirectAdmin works fine with every distro based on RHEL already (RHEL itself, CentOS, CloudLinux, Oracle Linux - and Alma Linux + Rocky whenever they come out) so there's no need for them to pick one to support.