Almalinux or rocky linux as successors to centos 8 and will Domain authority(DA) support almalinux ?

Brain012

In general users are thinking about it but considering most have at least a year to do something the consensus is there is no rush.
I was a Centos user and have switched some of my server to debian and freebsd. I like switching and rebuilding so it all fun for me.
But, I have a question related to the topic that how many of the centIos users here are already thinking about switching to Almalinux in 2023. Or maybe to rocky linux as an alternative for a stable centos successor .
Is directadmin going to support almalinux as OS?
Please reply.
Waiting:

Most hosters around me have migrated to Almalinux, mainly because its backed up by Cloudlinux I think
Personally we have used Almalinux from the beginning and never regretted.
DA is fully supporting it so that should not be an problem

Last edited:
Almalinux for me. There is also an advantage that they have ELevate project for converting CentOS 7 to Almalinux 8. It's stable and working well with DA.

We switched to AlmaOS for most of the servers now and are pretty satisfied with the performance and the security features we are getting with it.

Has anyone switched from Rocky to Alma? If so, what was that experience if the OP decides they want to switch for some reason.

AlmaLinux uses DNF (dandified yum) as its default built-in package manager, while Rocky Linux uses RPM which better aligns it with other RHEL distributions. AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux are RHEL-rebuilds which means their performance is similar.
Drift Boss

AlmaLinux uses DNF (dandified yum) as its default built-in package manager, while Rocky Linux uses RPM which better aligns it with other RHEL distributions. AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux are RHEL-rebuilds which means their performance is similar.
Drift Boss

Actually both can use dnf or yum. Using one doesn't exclude the other.

Me neither, but @jamgames2 is right.
As you can see yum does not exist anymore since RHEL 8. As of that time it's (just like with RHEL 9 and deratives) a symlink to dnf.
Maybe that remains or maybe the symlink will be removed in RHEL 10, not sure.

Me neither, but @jamgames2 is right.
As you can see yum does not exist anymore since RHEL 8. As of that time it's (just like with RHEL 9 and deratives) a symlink to dnf.
Maybe that remains or maybe the symlink will be removed in RHEL 10, not sure.

Well that pisses me off a little. Usually we get a notice about something being deprecated instead of just fooling us into thinking we are using one thing when we are really using another. Its even reporting that yum is installed. I would like to choke the developer who made this decision.

Code:
[root@server10 ~]# rpm -qa | grep yum
yum-4.14.0-8.el9.noarch

[root@server10 ~]# rpm -ql yum
/etc/dnf/protected.d/yum.conf
/etc/yum.conf
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d
/etc/yum/protected.d
/etc/yum/vars
/usr/bin/yum
/usr/share/man/man1/yum-aliases.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/yum.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/yum-shell.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/yum.8.gz

Its even reporting that yum is installed.
Yes that's a bad thing. However, yum is in fact installed, configuration wise, because there is no dnf.conf.
But checking the /usr/bin/yum binary shows you that it's really a symlink.

Usually we get a notice about something being deprecated
I think RHEL might have done that already in 2016.

And I found this somewhere else:
Now, with the release of RHEL 9, what is the status of “yum”? Does it still work, or has it been entirely deprecated?

The good news is that “yum” is still available in RHEL 9. Red Hat has not removed it entirely, recognizing that many users are familiar with “yum” and may have scripts and workflows built around it. However, it is important to note that “yum” is considered a deprecated package manager in RHEL 9. This means that while it’s still functional for basic package management tasks, Red Hat strongly recommends using “dnf” for all package-related operations.
I just hate these kind of changes just as I hate the deprecation of the network-scripts stuff. I don't like the network manager.
But I guess we're getting a bit offtopic now.

Back