AlmaLinux OS 8.3 Stable Release is live!

Active8

Verified User
We are very happy to announce that today we are releasing the first AlmaLinux OS stable version. That's right, you can go right ahead and download the stable version and use it everywhere you need a stable, reliable, Linux distribution. For some time now we also have the conversion script in our GitHub repository, so you can also convert your system to AlmaLinux OS stable using it if you don't feel like reinstalling from scratch.

Did someone already made the test drive ?
Here is the link for the conversion script : https://github.com/AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy

The 'DirectAdmin support' checkbox is still unchecked, so I'm not trying yet.

Yes I did on a test server. Flawless conversion from centos 8 to almalinux. ( the test server was not running directadmin though )

AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy
But is this in reference from the Deployer Script seems to be. Seems Alma is saying you cannot run the deployer on Directadmin server. If you did a fresh install of AlmaLinux DA show its should work and is supported. I dont think an OS vendor will validate an Application against their OS. That is usually up to the Application vendor.

But is this in reference from the Deployer Script seems to be. Seems Alma is saying you cannot run the deployer on Directadmin server. If you did a fresh install of AlmaLinux DA show its should work and is supported. I dont think an OS vendor will validate an Application against their OS. That is usually up to the Application vendor.
Maybe, but TS asked if someone tried the conversion. Then I'd rather install a new server and migrate, but converting a production server is too much of a risk now. (At least for me).

I did try this on a client's server (with DA installed), with his permission of course, and with backups ready. I did a yum update beforehand, ran the conversion script. No errors and worked without a hitch. Performed a reboot on the server because of the kernel modification, still working well so far.

EDIT:

Would recommend RHEL than AlmaLinux though. If you don't have more than 16 servers, I think the developer subscription would suit you.

Good to hear it's working great. I have one question though.. how does it work with the EPEL & PowerTools repositories? Are they also available and switched over?

Good to hear it's working great. I have one question though.. how does it work with the EPEL & PowerTools repositories? Are they also available and switched over?
Yes, it works just fine.

Code:
[root@server ~]# yum repolist
repo id                                                        repo name
appstream                                                      AlmaLinux 8 - AppStream
baseos                                                         AlmaLinux 8 - BaseOS
epel                                                           Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64
epel-modular                                                   Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - x86_64
extras                                                         AlmaLinux 8 - Extras
powertools                                                     AlmaLinux 8 - PowerTools

I tried the conversion and ended up with an error: Dracut warning: can't mount root filesystem🥴

Would recommend RHEL than AlmaLinux though. If you don't have more than 16 servers, I think the developer subscription would suit you.
How would Redhat know if you had more than 16 servers?

I tried the conversion and ended up with an error: Dracut warning: can't mount root filesystem🥴
What file system do you use? I used ext4 for boot and xfs for other partitions. Also, make sure that secure boot is disabled.

How would Redhat know if you had more than 16 servers?
You need a subscription to install and activate the OS, you also need a subscription to update. Once you subscribe a system, it is added to your account. Your developer account is limited to 16 subscriptions, you cannot add more unless you pay for a regular subscription.

What file system do you use? I used ext4 for boot and xfs for other partitions. Also, make sure that secure boot is disabled.

Same here, ext4 for boot and xfs. Secure boot was disabled. Looking at the script it stopped at line 382, the distro sync. That returned OK, but it didn't execute the grub_update function and I didn't see the message on line 385, migration completed. The script ended execution and I rebooted too quickly to check if conversion was completed 🤠 But hey no harm done because I quickly restored from a backup.

You need a subscription to install and activate the OS, you also need a subscription to update. Once you subscribe a system, it is added to your account. Your developer account is limited to 16 subscriptions, you cannot add more unless you pay for a regular subscription.
Couldn't one just create another account?

Same here, ext4 for boot and xfs. Secure boot was disabled. Looking at the script it stopped at line 382, the distro sync. That returned OK, but it didn't execute the grub_update function and I didn't see the message on line 385, migration completed. The script ended execution and I rebooted too quickly to check if conversion was completed 🤠 But hey no harm done because I quickly restored from a backup.
It's good that you have backups ready. An update, converted server still works flawlessly without any problem(s).

Couldn't one just create another account?
Yes, they will not stop you from creating (fake) new accounts. It's unethical practice though, so to each his own.

Back