An easier way to move mysql db (from cpanel to da)

Jing

Verified User
I was trying to move a big database (around 60mB) to my DA server just now. Can't do it with phpmyadmin, so I tried out MySQL-Front as someone here recommended it. Saved it to my drive nicely, but I have problem putting it on my DA server.

Then I notice there is this new "Upload a backup file" feature, so I tried out saving my database from CPanel (as .gz), and upload via it. I am not so sure if it is because that my DB is too big (around 30mB in .gz), but it didn't work. It points me to a 404 page not found. And a refresh showed an error saying that I do not own the domain. A bug? Or just my DB?

So in the end, I just uploaded the .gz file to my DA server, then used MySQL to dump it. Tadah...

Not so sure if it would be useful to you guys, but I think downloading the .gz copy and uploading it back up to the server is better than doing it without compressing the DB? If you have a big pipe then maybe it doesn't really matter to you. And that by doing this way, you don't need to get any 3rd party program etc. Maybe it works for other control panels too if they allow you to download .gz copy of your database, but I have never used them thus I don't know. :)

Hello,

the error page would be because the default max filesize you can upload is about 10 meg. This can be changed in the Admin Settings.

John

thanks for clearing that up for me. :) but the error page is a little bit confusing though. maybe you guys can change it to state "Exceeded the filesize limit" etc?

btw, the upload and download of .gz back up is a great feature!!!

Jing said:
I was trying to move a big database (around 60mB) to my DA server just now. Can't do it with phpmyadmin, so I tried out MySQL-Front as someone here recommended it. Saved it to my drive nicely, but I have problem putting it on my DA server.
You could go for the 3rd option in MySQL-Front which is to transfer it directly to another server.

Option 1 : Save it to your hard drive
Option 2 : Save it to a local path on the same server
Option 3 : Transfer it to a mysql database on another server

This last option would require you to enter the login information for both servers. Note that for the DA mysql to be accessible through MySQL-Front, you would have to add your ip to the allowed hosts list.

easy enough, drop your table in shell at cpanel, move it to a site on the server, wget it from DA and upload it using /mysql / shell again :)

Chris

Back