apache2 log limits?

empowering

Verified User
Hi were are using apache2 and seem to be getting file limits for only 256 sites??? We've looked at the options and the forum and can't find anything wrong with our setup. We cannot add another site and tried

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=9

which didn't work.. any ideas?

We are using centos 3.7 and apache 2.0.58

I'm willing to pay someone to help fix this as we can't migrate accounts from another company we have purchased. we need a solution ASAP.

no error it appears to be a file limit apache never starts

worked with DA and the only method was to centralize the error_log file.

update..

Something definately hard coded into apche 2 that doesn't allow as many file handles as apache 1.3. Once we downgraded to apache 1.3 everything worked fine.

DON'T use apache 2 on a somewhat large server (any more than 500 <Virtual> entries.

That is a filesystem limitation, Apache 1.3 and 2.0 were not able to serve files over 2gb in size which 2.2 can now.

I will tell you that 2.0.58 is a strange release and I don't like to install in production. Why do you want to run Apache 2 anyway. I know their are some good reasons but you are a early adopter, I would be more concerned with stability and compatibility?

If you did not get it fixed let me know I can help you out if you need someone to take a look.

you saying you have found 2.2 to be more stable then 2.0? I have most servers on 1.3 all stable, some on 2.0 all stable, and 1 on 2.2 not stable.

Honestly I go with 1.3 for everything but the 2.0 works but I have had many boxes with problems under high load. I can never get it tuned to the performance of 1.3.

I have been working on boxes running 2.2 very stable but more important the performance is mind blowing if you are coming from 1.3. I don't like running 2.2 but that is our customers decision.

Strange that you are having problems, and reason why from what you can tell?

Dont know, its looking stable again now I have upgraded from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3.

Same problem here, Apache 2.0.58 Server with about 330 domains hosted, but as soon as we reach 350 apache dus stops working, removing unused domains helped us out, but is just a tempory fix.

Think im going to mail john about it.

Did downgrading to 1.3.x really help, empowering?

X-Hosted said:
Same problem here, Apache 2.0.58 Server with about 330 domains hosted, but as soon as we reach 350 apache dus stops working, removing unused domains helped us out, but is just a tempory fix.

Think im going to mail john about it.

Did downgrading to 1.3.x really help, empowering?

Yes. John and I talked quite a bit about the issue. At the moment there is no workaround.

Let me add the FD_SETSIZE variable seems to be hardcoded in apache2 and/or other ties within the code. The fix to apache make require a patch of some sort. I, nor my systems programer have had time to look into it.

Last edited:
Back