Arconis or jetbackup for better backup reliability

copernic

Verified User
I need your feedback on the choice of a backup plugin (on an external server). Would you recommend jetbackup or Acronis (in terms of reliability, speed and ease of use for customers)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:
58 views and no comments, my guess is that no one uses Acronis Backup.
I really need to know what users think of Acronis Backup and especially how easy it is to deploy. (I'm currently reading the documentation and testing on a VPS, without success so far).

Most prefer free methods, I'm using standart DA backups + own customized script. So I'm one who look for this ticket but didn't advice anything.

if you really want stable software, jetbackup is good choice and have develope for many years.

Acronis is cheap price, maybe lack of feature like user friendly UI style.

I'm totally unhappy with jetbackup but I'm private case where I was a big fan of Jetbackup 2 and did a lot of "backup magic" during that time... which are now impossible in current Jetbackup 5 because they make it complicated - maybe to prevent stupid people do do stupid things but actually dissapoiting power users in such way...

Meanwhile i do not use any function more than what I used in version 2

Examples of "backup magic" cases:

1. I rent servers then when I dump it for a new one move the sites and failover ips and attach the same storage and continue from there - stupid simple and 100% working in jetbackup 2..... now days it is removing config files form the storage so you can attach it to another server, reindexing, then reassing sites to recognize old backups - user account by user account - because the bash script their support gave me do not work.... then in the end it starts make bakcup a new which chage requirements for the backup server to have more storage space as new incremental backups startarts from zero (you can only read old ones)...

2 .It happens for me to move users between servers in the version 2 times it was as simple as move the folder with mv + chown and I'm ready to go (I use same backup server several different linux users) now days it is the big movie so just start from zero and gave customer old backup extracted manually form the backup server

In the mean time they introduced jetmongo that is the stupid unstable thing to but there was period where mongo db was the hottest new thing so maybe they go with that heap

What is my issue with that - you can choose to receive notification for all things succesifull backup included and count in the moring did you receive same number of messages as the number of licenses or you can choose to receive only error messages

A lot of people will choose secod option - and will make a mistake if the stupid mongo crashes you will not receive any error message and no backup will be made... until you restart jetmongod and/or jetbackup5d

So the only way to be sure you have backups with Jetbacku is to count messages in the mornig....

Last but not least if you backup suspended accounts it will get [ERROR] Email account didn't returned any password - which will end to Partially Completed backups to be logged just for that error ....

-----
What I like:

Directadmin Backups + incremental strategy with borg - only minus is that end user canoot restore by themselves

Bu-Backup - simpe as Jetbackup 2 and just working.... BUT creator is Backend Dev not a Frontender and - my customers do not like how it looks :( i bought a big licenses to offer it free to my vps customers or upsale jetbackup with zero profit and majority went with jetbackup because it is prittier

Never tested Acronis maybe I should give a look to that

P.S. tested modmaster.pro in the past (now look abandoned) the issue there was dev makes changes do not change changelog so you wonder to update or not to update in the end went for jetbackup at least I was had good memories from JB2

Last edited:
We use Acronis and some custom backup pre/post backup scripts. Happy with it, also we manage some jetbackup managed directadmin servers but would still choose Acronis (for me it feels faster (for big account restores) and feels more reliable).

Thank you very much for your feedback.
@DanielP, I'm not reassured with jetBackup either, since the last time I tested it with DirectAdmin (18 months ago), it deleted the account and failed to restore it, fortunately, I had a copy of the copy locally, strangely under cPanel, I've been using it for years and no worries.
So far, I've been using bu-backup (06 Directadmin instances) but I've noticed that it no longer backs up databases. The problem affects all my Directadmin instances, I've contacted bu-backup support, they say it's a permissions issue, unfortunately the permissions fix hasn't solved the problem, I find it hard to believe that all 06 servers have the same problem at the same time, it could be a bug introduced during the last Directadmin update, which leads me to look for an alternative.
If I can't get Acronis to work, I'll have no choice but to use jetbackup. I need a solution that allows the client to restore itself.

@Imtek, The Acronis installation process is confusing, I managed to install it, but it doesn't work properly.
Backups are made but do not appear in the plugin. What's more, nothing appears at user level and when I connect to the Acronis console, I see the following message on the map: Backup policy is not ready

I've got the impression that I've missed something during the installation and configuration process. If you could describe (even briefly) the steps involved, that would be a great help.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
@DanielP, I'm not reassured with jetBackup either, since the last time I tested it with DirectAdmin (18 months ago), it deleted the account and failed to restore it, fortunately, I had a copy of the copy locally, strangely under cPanel, I've been using it for years and no worries.
So far, I've been using bu-backup (06 Directadmin instances) but I've noticed that it no longer backs up databases. The problem affects all my Directadmin instances, I've contacted bu-backup support, they say it's a permissions issue, unfortunately the permissions fix hasn't solved the problem, I find it hard to believe that all 06 servers have the same problem at the same time, it could be a bug introduced during the last Directadmin update, which leads me to look for an alternative.
If I can't get Acronis to work, I'll have no choice but to use jetbackup. I need a solution that allows the client to restore itself.

@Imtek, The Acronis installation process is confusing, I managed to install it, but it doesn't work properly.
Backups are made but do not appear in the plugin. What's more, nothing appears at user level and when I connect to the Acronis console, I see the following message on the map: Backup policy is not ready

I've got the impression that I've missed something during the installation and configuration process. If you could describe (even briefly) the steps involved, that would be a great help.

Hello Copernic,

We're sorry to hear about your experience with the early versions of JetBackup 5 and DirectAdmin. We take all feedback seriously and have made significant improvements to the backups and restores in DirectAdmin since your issue. We’ve also made great progress working with the DirectAdmin development team who built the necessary API functions to improve our JetBackup 5 Integration in DirectAdmin and address many common backup concerns on DA.

In our latest version of JetBackup v5.3+ for DirectAdmin, and since 2023, we’ve included an integrity check to ensure that your backups remain intact. If any issues are detected - JetBackup has the ability to fix future backups automatically!

We invite you to give the latest version of JetBackup 5 for DirectAdmin another try. Our support team is available 24/7/365 via email or our contact form to assist you with any questions or concerns.

Our Latest Improvements for DirectAdmin and Jetbackup 5.3.10 include:
  • private_html symlink option is restored properly
  • [Restore] Properly set IP for the associated account
  • Fixed email accounts linked to suspended domains can’t be backed up
  • [GUI] Fixed IP Address appearing as an array
  • [Restore] Partially completed restore for “admin” account
  • [Cron Restore] Fix cron removal with files restore
  • Resolved .spamassasin folder deleted after restore
  • Fixed error setting quota to unlimited during pre-restore step
https://blog.jetapps.com/icymi-jetbackup-version-5-3-10-release-notes/

Best Regards,
Anton B.
JetApps, LLC.

I'm totally unhappy with jetbackup but I'm private case where I was a big fan of Jetbackup 2 and did a lot of "backup magic" during that time... which are now impossible in current Jetbackup 5 because they make it complicated - maybe to prevent stupid people do do stupid things but actually dissapoiting power users in such way...

Meanwhile i do not use any function more than what I used in version 2

Examples of "backup magic" cases:

1. I rent servers then when I dump it for a new one move the sites and failover ips and attach the same storage and continue from there - stupid simple and 100% working in jetbackup 2..... now days it is removing config files form the storage so you can attach it to another server, reindexing, then reassing sites to recognize old backups - user account by user account - because the bash script their support gave me do not work.... then in the end it starts make bakcup a new which chage requirements for the backup server to have more storage space as new incremental backups startarts from zero (you can only read old ones)...

2 .It happens for me to move users between servers in the version 2 times it was as simple as move the folder with mv + chown and I'm ready to go (I use same backup server several different linux users) now days it is the big movie so just start from zero and gave customer old backup extracted manually form the backup server

In the mean time they introduced jetmongo that is the stupid unstable thing to but there was period where mongo db was the hottest new thing so maybe they go with that heap

What is my issue with that - you can choose to receive notification for all things succesifull backup included and count in the moring did you receive same number of messages as the number of licenses or you can choose to receive only error messages

A lot of people will choose secod option - and will make a mistake if the stupid mongo crashes you will not receive any error message and no backup will be made... until you restart jetmongod and/or jetbackup5d

So the only way to be sure you have backups with Jetbacku is to count messages in the mornig....

Last but not least if you backup suspended accounts it will get [ERROR] Email account didn't returned any password - which will end to Partially Completed backups to be logged just for that error ....

-----
What I like:

Directadmin Backups + incremental strategy with borg - only minus is that end user canoot restore by themselves

Bu-Backup - simpe as Jetbackup 2 and just working.... BUT creator is Backend Dev not a Frontender and - my customers do not like how it looks :( i bought a big licenses to offer it free to my vps customers or upsale jetbackup with zero profit and majority went with jetbackup because it is prittier

Never tested Acronis maybe I should give a look to that

P.S. tested modmaster.pro in the past (now look abandoned) the issue there was dev makes changes do not change changelog so you wonder to update or not to update in the end went for jetbackup at least I was had good memories from JB2

Hello DanielP,

Thank you for your reply and wanted to follow up on your issues and concerns as well.

We understand when previous software versions seem like a better fit for “power users.” As we continue to grow rapidly in our ever-expanding industry, security, usability, and fail-safe solutions; even if that is “to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things.” is a core responsibility of the JetBackup software.

I brought back the term you used “Backup Magic” to our development team, and our team absolutely loved it… I want to address some of the power user concerns you referenced:

I rent servers then when I dump it for a new one move the sites and failover ips and attach the same storage and continue from there - stupid simple and 100% working in jetbackup 2..... now days it is removing config files form the storage so you can attach it to another server, reindexing, then reassing sites to recognize old backups - user account by user account - because the bash script their support gave me do not work.... then in the end it starts make bakcup a new which chage requirements for the backup server to have more storage space as new incremental backups startarts from zero (you can only read old ones)...

The issue with moving to a new server with failover IPs and the same storage destination is security and the availability of hijacking.

JetBackup 5 assigns each account with a universally unique identifier (UUID). This ensures that backups are assigned to the correct users and prevents conflicts from accounts that may have the same name across multiple servers from accessing dissociated backups. JetBackup allows you to reassign accounts with the correct UUID if it detects multiple UUIDs with the same username.

https://docs.jetbackup.com/v5.3/adminpanel/accounts.html#assignable-accounts

A workaround for a “Power User” like yourself would be our batch reassign script, downloadable here:

https://billing.jetapps.com/dl.php?type=d&id=434

We expect this feature to be added to the JetBackup 5 core in an upcoming release.

It happens for me to move users between servers in the version 2 times it was as simple as move the folder with mv + chown and I'm ready to go (I use same backup server several different linux users) now days it is the big movie so just start from zero and gave customer old backup extracted manually form the backup server

Moving users between servers may have been “easier” in JB2, but as we found with many people trying to move with backups running, it breaks backups. When moving them between servers, we choose to ensure that the clients’ backups are intact.

What is my issue with that - you can choose to receive notification for all things succesifull backup included and count in the moring did you receive same number of messages as the number of licenses or you can choose to receive only error messages A lot of people will choose secod option - and will make a mistake if the stupid mongo crashes you will not receive any error message and no backup will be made... until you restart jetmongod and/or jetbackup5d So the only way to be sure you have backups with Jetbacku is to count messages in the mornig...

When JetMongo is down, Jetbackup cannot communicate. The solution for these issues is to use external service monitoring and notifications from DirectAdmin Services or a platform like NewRelic.

Last but not least if you backup suspended accounts it will get [ERROR] Email account didn't returned any password - which will end to Partially Completed backups to be logged just for that error

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are happy to share that our team fixed this bug in version 5.3.10!

We are What I like: Directadmin Backups + incremental strategy with borg - only minus is that end user canoot restore by themselves Bu-Backup - simpe as Jetbackup 2 and just working....
BUT creator is Backend Dev not a Frontender and - my customers do not like how it looks :( i bought a big licenses to offer it free to my vps customers or upsale jetbackup with zero profit and majority went with jetbackup because it is prittier

We are happy that you have found something that works for you, but we are confused about how you could offer an upsell of JetBackup with zero profit. We would happily jump on a call and consult you on proven upsell strategies.

Never tested Acronis maybe I should give a look to that P.S. tested modmaster.pro in the past (now look abandoned) the issue there was dev makes changes do not change changelog so you wonder to update or not to update in the end went for jetbackup at least I was had good memories from JB2

We will be contacting you directly to see if we can bring your “backup magic” back!

Best Regards,
The JetApps Team

Back