backscatter spam - missing headers

Chrysalis

Verified User
Ok I have an unusual case of what looks some weird type of backscatter spam.

Initially noticed massive exim queue over 50k emails on a server so investigated.

Initially I had nothing to go on, all I could see in the queue was outbound emails been blocked by hotmail because sent to accounts that dont exist, the sender was blank in the headers. The from address was also hotmail.com, so hotmail to hotmail going through this server.

I reduced the queue, but left a few of the rogue emails there for further investigation frozen.

2 hours later the problem comes back, I check emails again and this time the first batch of emails are inbound to the server so I see the real body of the message and a bit more info in the logs. Here is a summary.

1 - The to address is hotmail address, the from address is a hotmail address thats static, the same everytime, so there is no domain at all in the headers that exists on this server.
2 - The helo is invalid a lan ip and the real host of the sender is allowed as the logs say "whitelisted in local domains whitelist"
3 - Checking the domain whitelist file shows the ip isnt there, there is many domains there tho, I resolve every domain name to an ip and none match the spamming ip. Since there is no match for me to remove from the whitelist I have simply had to disable the domain whitelist function for now.
4 - These emails are been generated at a high rate, more than 1 a second and the queue got to 5k+ in an hour.
5 - after disabling the whitelist the emails are been blocked as fake hotmail so it isnt even hotmail servers sending the spam to the server. Without the whitelist there is no extra in sight into this as to how the emails are getting to this server, the sender has somehow managed to hide the real to address from the headers. Or must have faked dns records on the sending host to specifically target this server. Not impossible the server is under some attention possibly from someone determined as its also bombarded 24/7 by .tw ip's with smtp requests that are blocked for no auth.

Am I right if the recipient is hotmail then the way the emails have arrived is someone has faked the hotmail dns records on a server to point to this server? or is there simply a way to hide the actual recipient of an email?

Take the hotmail domain out of the local domains whitelist. That's dangerous, because lots of spammers use phony hotmail email addresses.

Check thos helo/ehlo lines. Does the real IP# match the address in the helo? You can use ACLs to block helos which only use IP#s. Block the real IP#s if they don't change at a high rate.

If the mail is being created locally by a compromised site, then shut down the site by suspending it, or finding the program that's been compromised, and chmod it 000.

If it's a client site compromised make it their responsibility to fix it before you'll turn it back on.

This post is a bit general in nature because the only way for me to know would be to log in and do some forensics. We and others you'll find on these forums can find the problem and likely fix it, as a service; contact me if you're interested, by sending me an email; address below, but be sure to send it from an off-server account in case a blocklist is blocking you and we don't get emails from your server. Or feel free to call.

Jeff

its out now, bear in mind I am not the one who added it to the whitelist ;) I already gave the same advice to the person who put it there.

I have edited the config and will submit the changes to John as the logs are very misleading which sent me on a wild goose chase. As it gave me the impression it was the ip in the whitelist rather than the sender domain which was the cause.

I already have helo filters, it turns out the lan ip was not the helo submitted and the actual helo was in a valid format. However the email was spoofed which does get caught by my filters once hotmail was removed from the whitelist.

I'm sorry if you felt you needed to be defensive; I merely point out the reason for the problem; I try very hard to not assess blame, as that's just a waste of time.

If you mean exim log configuration, please feel free to post it here so we can all learn. Note that so far I've been responsible for the exim log configuration in DirectAdmin, and while it meets my needs, I'd be happy to accept any constructive criticism so I can work on a configuration that will better fit other admin's needs.

Jeff

Back