Blacklisting A Domain

topdog

Verified User
Hi,
I am running the latest versions of DA, CentOS 5.4 Final, Exim, and Dovecot.
I am wondering firstly, how can I prevent certain domains, like, for instance, aol.com, from sending mail to my server?
I tried just putting aol.com in the blacklist_domains file, but I'm not sure whether or not I did that correctly.
As well, how do I use the use_rbl_domains file to blacklist?

Quite helpful. Not really. what am I suppose to be looking for there?
Can't examples be given on blacklisting a domain? Surely, giving an example blacklist can't be that difficult...

Well if you are not even willing to read the instructions then I don't know what else to do.

Well if you are not even willing to read the instructions then I don't know what else to do.

Instructions? Where? I see none. If you are referring to the read me file, it shows no examples on how to blacklist, from what I can see.
It only tells you how to configure spam blocker from what I've read.

The readme file tells you how to use both blacklist_domains and use_rbl_domains.

I don't seem to be able to get the latest spam blocker configuration file.
The read me says to get it from: http://www.nobaloney.net/exim/exim.conf.spamblocker
That results in a 404 error.
On my server I am using spam blocker 2.0, according to the exim.conf file.
What is the correct address for the spam blocker configuration file for exim?

I don't seem to be able to get the latest spam blocker configuration file.
The read me says to get it from: http://www.nobaloney.net/exim/exim.conf.spamblocker
That results in a 404 error.
On my server I am using spam blocker 2.0, according to the exim.conf file.
What is the correct address for the spam blocker configuration file for exim?

If you already have it then why are you trying to download it again?

Read the readme file to learn to configure it.

Do I download SpamBlocker Version 3.2.4-RC?
I've started to download SpamBlocker Version 3.2.4-RC.
If that is not the correct version, please let me know.

If you want to use SpamBlocker 3 then you need to convert to using Dovecot if you are not already using it.

I recommend and use the 3-beta series. I've stopped updating the 2 series, but it's maintained by DirectAdmin staff.

On my site the SpamBlocker2 link only leads to the readme file.

Jeff

I recommend and use the 3-beta series. I've stopped updating the 2 series, but it's maintained by DirectAdmin staff.

On my site the SpamBlocker2 link only leads to the readme file.

Jeff
That's fine. I've downloaded the RC of version 3. In my Exim mail logs it says stuff like:
Email blocked by zen.spamhaus.org
I'd imagine then that the configuration for RBL I did works then.
I want to blacklist a domain using the created blacklist_domains file.
How does that file work? Does that prevent people locally from sending to a domain off the server?
Say for instance, if I had help.cc, and I wanted to blacklist Gmail.com, people off of help.cc cannot send to gmail then, if I were to put gmail.com in the blacklist_domains file?

As I mentioned before, in the default configuration you probably cannot block gmail.com as it's probably whitelisted by one of the off-site whitelists. Of course you can customize exim.conf to remove whitelisting using those two previously mentioned whitelists.

Blocklisting/whitelisting does not affect ability to send mail; only to receive.

Any blocklisting/whitelisting in my exim.conf files is for all the domains on your server listed in the use_rbl_domains file.

I hope that when you installed the RC that you've gone through the entire file, and looked at each time the word EDIT (in caps) appears, and made whatever edit is required for your system.

Jeff

Hi,
Thanks for the help. By chance, if I remove all lines that refer to:
hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com used as whitelist
And:
# dnswl.org whitelist (whitelist official ISP servers)
The server would then use the local whitelists and blacklists?

The server will continue to use any whitelists for which you do not either remove or comment out the required lines.

These are the lines to remove for hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com used as a whitelist; I recommend you lave the top two lines and remove (or comment out the rest):
Code:
  # hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com used as whitelist
  # accept if IP# is listed at hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com as whitelisted
  # 127.0.0.1 means whitelisted
  accept domains = +local_domains
         dnslists = hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com=127.0.0.1
         logwrite = $sender_host_address whitelisted in hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com
And these are the lines to remove for dnswl.org (I make the same recommendations):
Code:
  # dnswl.org whitelist (whitelist official ISP servers)
  # accept if IP# is listed at dnswl.org as whitelisted
  accept domains = +local_domains
         dnslists = list.dnswl.org
         logwrite = $sender_host_address whitelisted in list.dnswl.org
Don't forget to restart exim when you've made any changes to exim.conf.

Jeff

Back