Botched skin

joh2900

Verified User
Attemped to install a skin. After making it default nothing works except the login page. How do I reset it?

Did you set that skin for all users or just as default for future?

ouch.... bad idea there, im guessing its set in the directadmin main configs or similar....... check your directadmin.conf and check for any admin config files for a skins option.........

If that fails, search for your skins directory, ***MAKE A BACKUP OF THESE DIRECTORYS*, make a copy of your 'default' (the directadmin skin) skin, remove your new skins directory, and rename the copy of the deirectadmin skin you have to the same as your new skin WAS: in simple terms:

(in skins directory)

DirectAdmin_default_skin
Power_user
Your_custom_skin

make a copy of the DirectAdmin default skin and backup the new skin just incase DA does not like this:

DirectAdmin_default_skin
DirectAdmin_default_skin_copy
Power_user
Your_custom_skin
Your_custom_skin_backup

now remove Your_custom_skin (the directory) so you have:

DirectAdmin_default_skin
Power_user
Your_custom_skin_backup

now copy DirectAdmin_default_skin_copy to the location of the skin you just removed, and DA is now using:

DirectAdmin_default_skin
Power_user
Your_custom_skin (PREVIOUSLY NAMED DirectAdmin_default_skin_copy)
Your_custom_skin_backup

Now, you should be able to login into DA and use the default skin, go into the skins section, set all users to use another skin aswell as yourself then remove the bothced up skin!

As long as the above message is, it should take no longer than 5 minutes, im sure there is an easier fix but im certain this will work until DA respond :)

Chris

And amazingly John / Mark is back after spending 10 minutes writing up a quick and dirty fix :D

Hello,

You can always reset your account to the default skin by using:

/CMD_SKINS?reset=yes

But if you've messed up the default skin, then you can just re-extract it:

cd /usr/local/directadmin
tar xvzf update.tar.gz
./directadmin p

John

was in the middle of trying ProWebUks fix when I got Admins fix.
Admins was faster... Thanks to both

ok..... seems the problem was in the packaging. Is there a program to compress the skins in windows. without screwing up the structure?

Last edited:
"The skin package did not install properly. Either there were files missing, or their permissions were incorrectly set"
even tried repacking the deafault skin.

Duhh.....I wasn't doing it from inside the skin directory.... Should have read the instructions..:D

joh2900 said:
Duhh.....I wasn't doing it from inside the skin directory.... Should have read the instructions..:D

Not having much luck on these forums lately....... just sent a detailed response to your email with the attachment, possibly a bit late :p

I use power archiver which handles pretty much every archive format known to mankind.

If you are having difficulties uploading a skin, or just want to change a single file:

(reseller or admin only)
$ cd /home/[username]/skins/
$ mkdir [skin name]
$ cd [skin name]
$ tar xzvf [skin file].tar.gz

OR as a reseller or admin
ftp to your account, then change directory to /skins/ (you may not be able to see it, but it will exist), make the directory for your skin, then upload each file.

i just like been able to create pretty much any format anyone could ask for, and read ANY format people can give me.

Its not too expensive either :)

Back