Bug - Domain Pointers option to receive duplicate dns entries from master domain

tristan

Verified User
Added a domain pointer to a domain with non default non-local mx, however the pointer still got the default local mx entries 10.mail.expample.com. Maybe I didn't understand correctly after reading:

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=482 - "Domain Pointers are designed to be exact duplicates of the domain they're created under. As such, you cannot edit many aspects of them."

But since it also works the other way around:

I thought it would be logical if these new domain pointers would also use the dns entries from the master domain, especially since the user level can't easily change the dns entries for these domain pointers?

But since it also works the other way around:
Not quite. Seems you missed one line from your second link:
The right-side value is not adjusted, so if you're setting domain.com to use say ns1.domain.com., the pointer.com will also get ns1.domain.com.
So if you want to have external mx entries on the pointers, you need to have external mx entry's on the domain too according to this line.

Added a domain pointer to a domain with non default non-local mx,
This line was a bit confusing to me, as it can mean that the domain pointer is setup with non default non-local mx, but can also mean the main domain is setup with non local mx. I thought the first one.
If the second option is the case, so the main domain has already a non local mx dns entry, then indeed the pointer should have it too according to the second link.

Yup, could've been formulated better by me. Main domain has an external MX setup so I expected the newly created domain pointer (as alias) to just use that as well.

Last edited:
Hmmz... now the feature links is confusing me. As I read it, then it should work, just like you think.

I've read there is a "[x] Affect Pointers" checkbox on the MX page on user level. Is that checked too?
If not, I don't know, might be you found some issue there or at least some confusing explanation in the docs.

I presume you've done all this too:

The feature I linked to as well as the Affect Pointer checkbox is about when you make changes to a domain name that has pointers. This topic is about a newly created pointer for a domain name.

Thanks for the report (via ticket).
I was able to confirm that deleting a record did not affect pointers when indicated to do so, on the "DNS Management" page.
The adding and editing of records did work correctly.
The MX Records page also worked correctly for all functions.

Versions entry added here:
Fix in the pre-release area shortly.

----
Update: I'm going to test the "Add Domain Pointer" variation.. as I'm pretty sure it does not check the main domain at all during creation of the pointer.

Update: I'm going to test the "Add Domain Pointer" variation.. as I'm pretty sure it does not check the main domain at all during creation of the pointer.
This sounds like what's happening at the moment, while you'd expect it would copy the main-domain records to the pointer when adding a domain pointer.

Back