[BUG] On admin restore nameservers not changed on user level

Richard G

Verified User
I was just using backup/transfer to transfer files from a vps to our main server.
This worked fine, except 1 thing.

I have checked the option to restore the backups with local DNS servers.
On user restore, when viewing the user via the View All Users list and clicking them, the new nameservers (of the main server) are present.

However, when logging in as the user and checking DNS Management, the old vps nameservers are still present, so they are not changed.

When I restore with the old nameservers and change nameservers in the "view user" part and click "save nameservers" then on user level in DNS management the DNS servers -are- changed.

Normally they should also be changed on user level on a admin restore, so seems a bug to me.

Hmm.. Just tested with the Admin Level restore.. unable to reproduce. I confirmed both the user.conf and zone db in the backup has something else, and upon restore, they used the value set in admin's Nameservers page.

Are you using the Reseller Level? Not sure what I'm missing (may need a ticket on this if it's an exception somewhere)

Else, if you do the restore again with debug level exactly 530 (not higher), that gives more DNS output.
The "Named::merge_db_file" output may give us more info on the state of things before the merge to the new values.
And the master "Named::restoreDns" call will clarify if the use_local_ns=0|1 is correctly set or not.

John

Are you using the Reseller Level? Not sure what I'm missing (may need a ticket on this if it's an exception somewhere)
I was using admin level backup/transfer.

The odd thing is I tried 2 times. When setting to use the DNS from the backup, the nameservers on userlevel were changed when I changed them in user view.
However, when I set to use the nameservers of the current server, they were set correctly on view but not when logged in as the user.

I'm going to create a test account and see if it happens with this too.
How do I use debug level 530?

Figured it out how to run in debug mode.

But there is no Named::merge_db_file to be found in that log.

I will create a ticket so you can take a look because I can reproduce it any time I want.

Issue solved. Bug was that it was using admin's reseller.conf for the local ns1/ns2 values.
I've added the fix to use the actual creator's ns1/ns2 values (if that creator exists).

John

In that case it wasn't a bug. It should be using admin reseller.conf for local ns1/ns2 values because I restored from admin, so it was working as designed and how it should work.

The mistake I made was that my admin changed some nameservers on the wrong place and since the domains resembled very much I didn't see that it was changed in fact.

Back