Bug ?

Marwen

Verified User
Hi,

i found a bug in directadmin. My goal is to set a different MX record for subdomain.mydomain.com than for mydomain.com.
example:

mydomain.com. 14400 IN MX 10 mail
subdomain.mydomain.com. 14400 IN MX 10 subdomain

DA tries to "fix" this and replaces the second MX line with:

mydomain.com. 14400 IN MX 10 subdomain

Please include a patch in the upcoming release that fixes this behavior.

Thank you,
Mario

If you're setting up a subdomain in DirectAdmin as a subdomain you don't get any mail services so what use could you make of an MX record?

If you want to create a subdomain that can use email services then you create it as if it werre a main domain. Then you'll get mx services, and a complete zone file which will allow the proper settings of mx records.

Jeff

If you're setting up a subdomain in DirectAdmin as a subdomain you don't get any mail services so what use could you make of an MX record?

subdomain.mydomain.com points to a different server wich doesn't even uses directadmin. I want to set an MX record for this subdomain, cause mails for [email protected] should be handled by another server than emails for [email protected] It's just that the entry "subdomain.mydomain.com. 14400 IN MX 10 subdomain" in the zone file is right and should not be rewritten by directadmin as it is correct and functional. That's why I consider it as a bug.

Mario

Did you create the subdomain on DirectAdmin? Or did you just add an MX record to the zone file?

If so, how did you add the MX record to the zone file?

Perhaps DirectAdmin of handling DNS is a bit too simplistic to use it to create more complex zones; the way I'd resolve it would be to create two ns records, one each for ns1 and for ns2 for the subdomain, and then create (manually through the DA admin interface) a separate zone file for the subdomain.

That's actually the way DNS was originally designed to work, with a separate zone file for the subdomain, and A records only for hostnames and servicenames. DirectAdmin creates an a record in the main domain zone for subdomains created as subdomains because it's view of subdomains is that they're only used for webhosting and don't need their own zone.

(The confusion occurs because you really can't tell the difference between a subdomain and a hostname or servicename.)

Jeff

Back