Can Directadmin compare with cPanel or Plesk?

Tommyhara

Verified User
I am using Directadmin and have cPanel and Plesk on different VPSes but I could not figure out what is the best or has many advantages over the rest (control panels) From feedback and reviews of guys on this post Plesk vs Cpanel vs Directadmin then I am seeing Directadmin is at 3rd position and could not compare with cPanel or Plesk and more people are saying Plesk is even better than cPanel. Is it exact? What do you guys think?

I am using Directadmin and have cPanel and Plesk on different VPSes but I could not figure out what is the best or has many advantages over the rest (control panels) From feedback and reviews of guys on this post Plesk vs Cpanel vs Directadmin then I am seeing Directadmin is at 3rd position and could not compare with cPanel or Plesk and more people are saying Plesk is even better than cPanel. Is it exact? What do you guys think?

So ?
You are usiing yourself you should know i think which for you.?

It always depends what you or your User need and do with the Panel.

DA is more flexible if you have to do settings things not provided in the Panel itself.
DA as far as i know is faster with bringing out security fixes (zero day) .

But if your user needed more "fancy" or some of the other extra's out of plesk / cpanel you can't do / provide them yourself with the DApanel the choice is yours.

You can also test yourself the new DA in Beta rc3 version.

I few User/Admins/Hosters saying .... doesn't have to mean ....

Plesk is for Hosting company's more interresting maybe because of the profit. ( and if something goes wrong they most of the time say hmm sorry it is PLESK.... ;)

DA is using little SERVER resources.

I've used CPanel and Plesk in the past too.
I started out with a reseller-account with a hoster that used CPanel. That panel worked all right and was easy to use and navigate through.
Then the hoster switched servers and I ended up with Plesk... Wow, what an annoying PoS that panel was. Strict and obnoxious ways of having to get stuff done. Reminded me of the same lousy way how the Windows OS works.

Shorty after this I switched hosters and ended up with DA, which seemed nice and 'accessible'.
Again after that I got my own VPS and I made sure it had either CPanel or DirectAdmin.

So ?
You are usiing yourself you should know i think which for you.?

It always depends what you or your User need and do with the Panel.

DA is more flexible if you have to do settings things not provided in the Panel itself.
DA as far as i know is faster with bringing out security fixes (zero day) .

But if your user needed more "fancy" or some of the other extra's out of plesk / cpanel you can't do / provide them yourself with the DApanel the choice is yours.

You can also test yourself the new DA in Beta rc3 version.

I few User/Admins/Hosters saying .... doesn't have to mean ....

Plesk is for Hosting company's more interresting maybe because of the profit. ( and if something goes wrong they most of the time say hmm sorry it is PLESK.... ;)

DA is using little SERVER resources.
Seem you are right, I always see that my websites run faster than running on cPanel.

I've used CPanel and Plesk in the past too.
I started out with a reseller-account with a hoster that used CPanel. That panel worked all right and was easy to use and navigate through.
Then the hoster switched servers and I ended up with Plesk... Wow, what an annoying PoS that panel was. Strict and obnoxious ways of having to get stuff done. Reminded me of the same lousy way how the Windows OS works.

Shorty after this I switched hosters and ended up with DA, which seemed nice and 'accessible'.
Again after that I got my own VPS and I made sure it had either CPanel or DirectAdmin.

Some guys advised me if I want to go with reseller hosting, I should go with cPanel/WHM. I am wondering why I can do that with Directadmin

I agree with BBM. Plesk is difficult, strict and obnoxious. You also find most support for DA and Cpanel om most webhosting forums.

Cpanel is more expensive but also has some more nice options and possibility's, especially for the user. And for the user it might work a bit easier, but it does uses more resources then DA and is less customizable or at least not that easy.

We administer a server with Cpanel and several with DA. If I would start, I certainly would start with DA because in fact that is all you need for giving good reseller hosting.
Especially the upgrade functions of DA (just do ./build update or ./build update php) and that you can use yum too, is already a benefit.
If you want to upgrade your php 5.5.29 to 5.5.30 in Cpanel you have to run Easyapache which also runs the complete apache compile process which is totally not needed. Takes time and effort. In DA you just do a ./build update and ./build update_versions and you're done.

Both have their own benefits. There is "better" between the two. You best can choose whatever you like to work with best.

So what is better?

You should IT not compare with the CARS option though i do right now.

Electro CAR <> Benzin CAR.

Better ELECTRO for shorter distances and for allmost every CITY traffic.
IF you have to drive distance's that are going over what you can get with on Battery load then Benzin.

So what with HYBRID ? ( there is i think DA while if your and/or Administrator /devolopper knowledge is very good) more easy to give ENDUSERs bur for ALL WEBAPLLICATIONS more freedom, and still the basis DA could be used as a Admin Panel.

So one example yes for the moment not supported HTTP2 default in DA, but if you can see here in forum you can change/enhance your Installation to run HTTP2 without breaking DA.
There is more like that for webapllications , Security, OS, extra enhancements, Scripts and so on, with Plesk really a pain in the .. if you leave the "default" paths.

For ENDUSERS ( what is better if you're a Hoster), depends what you have to offer them, managed or not and what they realy need, which kind of Support, also wich ammount / Budget and Profit you want to make. ( With Plesk this is easier while a large installed Base Endusers knowing/used to this) That doesn't mean your

i did big compare.
if you want panel works fast. easy to use - Directadmin
if you want to cus everything a lot of options use - cpanel

what's more secure?
Directadmin

Interesting discussions and I am looking forward to reading advantages of each control panel.
I agree with BBM. Plesk is difficult, strict and obnoxious. You also find most support for DA and Cpanel om most webhosting forums.

Can you tell me why Plesk is difficult, strict and obnoxious? I am using it but just feeling it is hard to use on the UI for the first time. Other parts I can click and go.

Cpanel is more expensive but also has some more nice options and possibility's, especially for the user. And for the user it might work a bit easier, but it does uses more resources then DA and is less customizable or at least not that easy.
I have to agree with you on this, that's why I bought Directadmin lifetime license while I only pay for cPanel license monthly because it is pretty expensive.

...but it does uses more resources then DA and is less customizable or at least not that easy.
Agreed, I saw my website run slower if they run on cPanel but I don't know the reasons why.
while it is pretty smooth with DA.

Especially the upgrade functions of DA (just do ./build update or ./build update php) and that you can use yum too, is already a benefit.
If you want to upgrade your php 5.5.29 to 5.5.30 in Cpanel you have to run Easyapache which also runs the complete apache compile process which is totally not needed. Takes time and effort. In DA you just do a ./build update and ./build update_versions and you're done.
I can not agree with you more on this point, using commands to update components on DA is not really convenient, it is easier to use Easyapache on cPanel (but this take pretty more time to build updates via web interface) while Plesk is more easier because I just click on what I want to install and it can done by clicks, it is more convenient for users.

Both have their own benefits. There is "better" between the two. You best can choose whatever you like to work with best.
Agreed.

So one example yes for the moment not supported HTTP2 default in DA, but if you can see here in forum you can change/enhance your Installation to run HTTP2 without breaking DA.
Where can I find this info?

There is more like that for webapllications , Security, OS, extra enhancements, Scripts and so on, with Plesk really a pain in the .. if you leave the "default" paths.
More info please!

For ENDUSERS ( what is better if you're a Hoster), depends what you have to offer them, managed or not and what they realy need, which kind of Support, also wich ammount / Budget and Profit you want to make. ( With Plesk this is easier while a large installed Base Endusers knowing/used to this) That doesn't mean your
Agreed with you.

i did big compare.
if you want panel works fast. easy to use - Directadmin
Not only control panel, it should for websites too?
I found that websites running Directadmin are faster than running on cPanel but I could not prove this.

if you want to cus everything a lot of options use - cpanel
Exactly!

what's more secure?
Directadmin
What? really?
Why this guy said here http://forumweb.hosting/14876-directadmin-vs-plesk-which-one-is-more-secure.html?p=90455#post90455
that control panels didn't play an important role in security for a web host.
For me, I didn't agree on this opinion.

Can you tell me why Plesk is difficult, strict and obnoxious?
Hard to use on the UI indeed, ofcourse some things you can click, others are hard to find. When I used it (just once on a customers server) I had to search for an option, had to enable something else to be able to change it.
As far as I know it's almost not customizable like DA is, I'm going to stop here, BBM can probably add some reasons too.

HTTP/2
Where can I find this info?
Over here:
https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=52590

that control panels didn't play an important role in security for a web host.
WHAHAHAHA, I've have to laugh about that. Ofcourse that is important. There are control panels out there which are not secure at all. Cpanel, Plesk and Directadmin are the most secure, the rest... well..... a lot aren't.
Next to that, every control panel needs a correctly secured server to be safe. Only a control panel is never enough for safety.

Last edited:
It's been about 10-12 years ago when I had to use Plesk, so I don't remember the quirks it had anymore at the time. But one thing stood out as most ancient behavior that an entire website went offline when a backup was being made of it. I believe a site went offline with other type of maintainance too.
While from a safety standpoint it's 'better' to backup a website that's offline, it sure felt like a clumsy way of doing things when I encountered it for the first time.

Which is better

Not sure about anyone else, but I just tested all 3 on a digitalocean droplet to see which would be best for our company.

1st discovery is that PLESK is way to complicated and yes strict. you have to have passwords with everything in them and it is hard to find the simple things. I did not like it at all! Support was not all that helpful, probably because we had a trial.

cPanel was ok, but there again too many bells and whistles to sift through to find what you need to have to make it work. Although it came in a close second. Support was pretty good as it should be with that many employees.

We chose to use directadmin after a month of testing. Very simple, straight forward and not bloated with useless crap. Support was comparable to cPanel, both Mark and John chimed in on my questions.

My vote: DIRECTADMIN

Directadmin without a doubt, but the new skin is very much needed. Most of the users are not that technical and care more about a nice interface and directadmin is seriously lacking in this area.

Let's hope the new skin finally comes at the end of summer in the southern hemipshere ;)

Directadmin without a doubt, but the new skin is very much needed. Most of the users are not that technical and care more about a nice interface and directadmin is seriously lacking in this area.

Let's hope the new skin finally comes at the end of summer in the southern hemipshere ;)

exactly directadmin just need a new skin

I have to agree with you, Directadmin needs a responsive theme for the control panel. Control panel theme is a weak point of Directadmin if compared with cPanel and Plesk.
I am looking forward to have new theme from Directadmin that more user friendly but seem it required more works for the team to change the default theme to responsive theme.

Back