Cannot send email to my domain

Sygmoral

Verified User
A few months ago, I locked down my server as much as possible. But now I need to 'unlock' something, .. and clearly I'm missing something.

I had disabled dovecot (because I don't need mailboxes on this server), and I originally also blocked incoming port 25 (because I don't even receive any email).

Now, I need to set up email forwarders. I still don't need mailboxes, but I do need to create email addresses that forward to an external domain. So I opened up incoming port 25. (Dovecot is still disabled.)

However, my test emails report:

Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 authentication required

It doesn't make sense that authentication is really required, because any external mail client should be allowed to send emails to my email forwards. Note: I also tested sending to admin@my_domain, which is not a forward, and that gives exactly the same error message, so the forwarders themselves aren't really the problem. I must still have something locked that I need to unlock ...

Exim is running (I never disabled it), and I also installed SpamAssassin just a few days ago, in preparation for this.

Make sure the domain is listed the the file /etc/virtual/domains

Back