Can't add hostname as a domain

simba

Verified User
Hello,

I am using admin account user level. Fresh install, i cannot add host.domain.com as a domain (to have a page on it) - it says it is reserved.

I want to have page displayed on host.domain.com, and also have let's encrypt SSL.

When i run
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/letsencrypt.sh request_single host.domain.com 4096

Challenge pre-checks fails, as DirectAdmin cannot place acme challenge files.

What is correct way to add page with server's hostname, and also have working and auto renewable Let's Encrypt Cert on it?

Thanks

Well, I use Cloudflare as DNS for my domain, that way, my DNS doesn't fall over for my other servers, NS, etc..

Just add an A record in your domain.com DNS entry for your hostname then try again (I think that'll work)

I never use a hostname for a page. It's odd. Normal domain pages are like on domain.com or www.domain.com not on server.domain.com.
So why not just use host.domain.com (like server.domain.com) as hostname and your webpage on domain.com and/or www.domain.com like most do?
It's also easy to have SSL on it this way.

Thank you all.

What i did:

Deleted "host.server.com" from Domains
And added "server.com" domain, with A "host" record.

After that ran SSL command above,everything works fine now.

When you add the hostname in the administrator settings it adds its own dns zone record.

I'm just saying its redundant unless domain.com is handled by different nameservers than host.domain.com. Me, I have dedicated nameservers for all the my servers so yes I have to add the A record as well but only because the DA servers are not my nameservers.

No it's not redundant (if I understand the meaning correctly). You either need the hostname as an A record, or a separate dns zone record (mostly created by default by DA). Otherwise things could go wrong when sending mail if there is no A record for the hostname, either in the domain.com zone or in a seperate host.domain.com zone file.
Even when not running your own nameservers.

No it's not redundant (if I understand the meaning correctly). You either need the hostname as an A record, or a separate dns zone record (mostly created by default by DA).

Correct. One OR the other. You don't need both. When you set the hostname in the Admin Setting it creates the extra separate dns zone record.

When you set the hostname in the Admin settings it creates the hostname.domain.com zone file. IF the same server is also the nameserver for domain.com you do not need to add an A record for hostname in the domain.com zone file.

When we are talking about one server and the nameserver on that server you don't need the A record in domain.com because there is already an A record for hostname.domain.com in the hostname.domain.com zone file.

Back