Can't connect to port 2222 via my home ISP

twv

Verified User
I cannot connect to my DA server via port 2222 when I'm connected to the internet via my home ISP (Exede/Viasat).

The error in Chrome is "This site can’t be reached
[domain.com] took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_TIMED_OUT"

However, I can connect to DA on my server from my office, from home via cell data, and from home via a proxy server. I can also connect to directadmin.com:2222 via my home ISP.

My IP address is not blocked in /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip_blacklist and there's nothing relevant in /var/log/directadmin/error.log.

I can tracepath -p 2222 to my server and I can telnet to port 2222. I can also connect to ports 80, 22, and others at mydomain.com and they work fine.

I'm not sure what to try next. I could tether my laptop to my cell data or use a proxy, but I'd much rather connect directly. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I could try to continue the telnet session and see if I can figure anything out, but I'm not sure what to type.

Richard G

Verified User
Can you reach your DA server without the port number from your home ISP?
So for example:
http://www.yourdomain.com:2222 is not possible
http://www.yourdomain.com is that possible?

You can telnet to port 2222 so it's not a port issue. Have you tried with another browser? What does Internet Explorer do or Edge? Not that I'm a fan of those, but they can be used for testing such things.

Richard G

Verified User
That's odd. Looks to me it might be an issue with your provider then. Since you can reach :2222 on other domain names and with telnet on your own domain, so it must be a http/port combo to your domain only from your ISP only.
It might be a good idea to contact them and also explain them all test you did which exclude other causes.

twv

Verified User
I think so, too, and I did try calling them. However, they wanted to use a GoToMyPC type app that only runs on Windows, and I'm running Linux. I may try them again when I can borrow a Windows laptop.

twv

Verified User
I restarted DA using ./directadmin b200. It doesn't seem to be receiving the connections via my ISP. When I connect via proxy, DA outputs "Send::sendLogin(): not logged in. json_out=0", but when I connect via my ISP, there's no output.

Anyone know how a DA telnet session should run?

twv

Verified User
Exede/Viasat is supposedly looking into this, but for now I've installed tor and am using it as a proxy in my browser and can connect that way.

Wanabo

Verified User
Perhaps your IP is blacklisted in DA's BruteForceMonitor. (Blacklist IPs for excessive DA login attempts )
Check /CMD_ADMIN_SETTINGS and /CMD_BRUTE_FORCE_MONITOR?sort1=-1&seek_value=-500000

Edit: Perhaps the above is the same what you all ready checked: /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip_blacklist

twv

Verified User
Perhaps your IP is blacklisted in DA's BruteForceMonitor. (Blacklist IPs for excessive DA login attempts )
Check /CMD_ADMIN_SETTINGS and /CMD_BRUTE_FORCE_MONITOR?sort1=-1&seek_value=-500000

Edit: Perhaps the above is the same what you all ready checked: /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip_blacklist
I think it may be the same, but in any case, my IP address isn't in either place.

Stunshot

I know this is an old thread but I've just recently switched to DA from CP and came across this exact issue myself.

After a lot of digging, I found the answer in /var/log/directadmin/error.log. It turns out DA checks your IP address against the one it has stored against your session. If there's a mismatch, you get kicked.

The solution is to edit /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf and add "disable_ip_check=1".

Hope this helps someone as I've been tearing my hair out! 😖