Can't find DKIM setting

Ch3vr0n

Verified User
Trying to get DKIM to work on VPS. Following guide https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=569

Problem with Turn it on required domains is that i can't find that setting. For info, DNS settings are managed through an external panel for all domains on the server to avoid potential "single point of failure" with dns. So i'd need that setting visible to the hosting user, so a record can be generated to then enter into the dns config panel

DNS settings are managed through an external panel
You will have to set it there manually. Assuming you don't use DNS at all in DA

Note: The dkim=2 setting, above, will not turn on DKIM for a domain when it's created. It simply makes the feature available to Users, so they can turn it on if they use local DNS for their domain. Using dkim=1 means that it will be activated immediately when a domain is created on the system. Only use dkim=1 if all domains use local DNS. If external DNS is used, the DKIM TXT records must be copied over to the remote DNS, else the outbound emails will be signed but will fail since the dns checks will fail, which is actually far worse than having no DKIM at all.

A user can enable DKIM with a click of a button in the DirectAdmin interface via User Level → E-Mail Accounts → Enable
Then, go to the DNS zone file and copy the x.domainkey TXT record for the domain over to the remote DNS box.

You will have to set it there manually. Assuming you don't use DNS at all in DA

Note: The dkim=2 setting, above, will not turn on DKIM for a domain when it's created. It simply makes the feature available to Users, so they can turn it on if they use local DNS for their domain. Using dkim=1 means that it will be activated immediately when a domain is created on the system. Only use dkim=1 if all domains use local DNS. If external DNS is used, the DKIM TXT records must be copied over to the remote DNS, else the outbound emails will be signed but will fail since the dns checks will fail, which is actually far worse than having no DKIM at all.

Sorry for the late response. Didn't get any notifications. DNS is managed externally to avoid single point of failure. So in my case using dkim=2 is the right way to go? Found the setting this time. This created a DNS record which has been copied over to the DNS manageing environment. Now i'm facing a new problem. I'm being warned that there's "no public key".

I'm being warned that there's "no public key".

Go to your DNS configuration of directadmin, there you can find:
x._domainkey
the code after that you must enter that at your dns server

Go to your DNS configuration of directadmin, there you can find:
x._domainkey
the code after that you must enter that at your dns server
i already did that. That's not the problem. The problem is that when doing a DKIM test, i'm being warned there's no public key.

So in my case using dkim=2 is the right way to go? Found the setting this time.
Yes, however you have to create them manually via the panel then, so they will exist in your directadmin dns.

If you copy that to your external dns, it might take a little time to resolve.

Did you copy it correctly on your external nameserver? Because in DA it says x._domainkey but on your external nameserver it probably should be:
Code:
x._domainkey.yourdomain.com.
mind the trailing dot.

Think i'm spotting an issue. DNS environment seems to cut the last letter of the DKIM line as if too long

Last edited:
Doublecheck, often it's there but not shown. When editting the line, often you can go further to the right with arrow keys.

If indeed, something is cut, you need to contact your external DNS provider because DA's DKIM records are not too long.

If more people run into this, maybe this could help, I could not find the button until I did a restart of Exim and DirectAdmin in the "service monitor", then the button appeared.

Back