Can't point to own nameservers

M.Kouwenhoven

Hello,

I just installed DA and setup nameservers accordingly to the guide here. With this guide I created the nameservers ns1 & ns2.example.co, both with a different IP's.

I want the domain example.co to resolve on ns1 and ns2 example.co, but when I try to change the domain to point to those nameservers I get the message that the nameservers are invalid. How do I solve this?

Thanks for your time,
Martijn

Did you add the name servers at your registry?

p.s. anytime asking about dns please give us the actual name so we can troubleshoot it.... without the proper info... we are blind and can't help other then to guess.

Hello,

I've no idea how to add the nameservers to the registry and I see no function at my host. The domain is dify.co

where is your name registered? godaddy? etc?

That is where you add the name servers.

Below are your current name servers... in order to change these you must do it where your name is registered.

NS4.NAMESERVERFFS.COM. ['188.138.72.57'] (NO GLUE) [TTL=900]
NS3.NAMESERVERFFS.COM. ['91.121.209.20'] (NO GLUE) [TTL=900]
NS1.NAMESERVERFFS.COM. ['217.18.70.10'] (NO GLUE) [TTL=900]
NS2.NAMESERVERFFS.COM. ['173.192.223.81'] (NO GLUE) [TTL=900]
NS5.NAMESERVERFFS.COM. ['174.34.155.106'] (NO GLUE) [TTL=900]

I'm aware of that. But when I try to change the nameserver of dify.co to ns1.dify.co and ns2.dify.co I recieve that error.

You must have them setup on your server first... they must be able to resolve or your registry will error as you have stated.

Personally, you are better off using the name servers you have now.... it's always a good idea not to have the name server on the same box as the web server.

Last edited:
I've set them up as follows, please correct me if I did anything wrong.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.png
    2.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 118
you need to remove the ns1 and ns1 as "a" records.... they should be as "NS" records only.

Hey,

I've done it and I didn't see any change yet. I must note that it doesn't make any sense to it, since it looked to me like the A-records where connecting the nameservers to the IP.

Regards,
Martijn.

P.S. I've send you a PM.

you need to remove the ns1 and ns1 as "a" records.... they should be as "NS" records only.
No, you really need the A records as well as the NS records.

And those nameservers still need to be registered at the registrar where dify.co is registered.d Otherwise they will NOT work and you won't be able to change to them.

Registering a nameserver is NOT the same as assigning it to a domain. The registration must be done first.

If Martijn can't figure it out, he needs to contact support at the registrar where he registered dify.co.

Jeff

Hello,

I've bought the domain at ServerFFS, but they don't offer an option for nameserver registration. Appearently they are a reseller of namecheap. So at this moment I've created a ticket asking them to register the nameservers there for me.

I guess that the only thing left for me to do is hoping that they will register the nameservers for me.

And if they can't or won't do it (I've heard that some registrars won't) be sure to let us know. And you'll need to either move the domain to another registrar (our registration service allows you to create nameservers, as most do) or buy a new domain to use just for nameservers. We use a generic name for our nameservers, so our resellers' customers won't see our name.

Note that you can't move a new domain; it needs to exist for 60 days before it can be moved.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I certainly want a domain that points to it's own nameservers, because that just looks really professional. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy another domain, so I've to wait for my webhost.

The webhost however toke 5 days to update my whois when I asked to change it. So I'm afraid that this will take really long also. I feel really bad about this. Thanks for your help though, really appreciated.

( Since I can't edit, I'm afraid that I've to add a new reply )

My registrar didn't wanted to set them up so I had to register another domain. Everything is working perfectly now and I'm happily using the nameservers on that domain.

Thanks for all your great help! My first experiences on the DA forums are good already :).

Back