Can't send email to "admin" account

myrddin

Verified User
Just started using DirectAdmin, getting used to its features, etc.

I noticed that when I made a domain at the user level (myrdd1n.net, as an admin) and then deleted it, the stats in the reseller and user level still say one email and FTP being used.

Seems odd to me the stats would say that when the domain doesn't even exist in DA anymore.

Also, I cannot send email to [email protected], which is the default email created when i make the domain.
The email just gets bounced back with
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
(ultimately generated from [email protected])
Unrouteable address
[email protected]
Unrouteable address

I've searched the forums and found the link that has a checklist of things to do to make sure mail is properly set up, and everyhting looks fine.

However, if I create a new pop account with a different name (I used "blah" to test it), it works perfectly.

I'm a bit perplexed, and although it may be an error on my part, I would like some input. Maybe I missed something.

Last edited:
I'm confused. If you delete the domain don't you expect the email to be undeliverable?

Did you set up admin for the domain or for the subdomain or for both? As a forward or a mailbox?

Jeff

jlasman said:
I'm confused. If you delete the domain don't you expect the email to be undeliverable?
Well yea, but that wasn't my point. When I delete the domain, I would assume the email (and ftp in this case) would disapear from user/reseller stats. It doesn't.
In my case, I only had one domain, and when I deleted it, I would have expected the number "1" to go to "0" for the email and ftp stats.

jlasman said:

Did you set up admin for the domain or for the subdomain or for both? As a forward or a mailbox?

I set up the domain "myrdd1n.net" in the user level, while logged in as admin.
DA automatically sets up a default email for that domain, [email protected].
Any mail going to that is bounced back with the error message shown in my first post.

If I create another mailbox under, for example [email protected], all mail is recieved to that mailbox without any problems or bouncebacks.

Last edited:
myrddin said:
When I delete the domain, I would assume the email (and ftp in this case) would disapear from user/reseller stats. It doesn't.
In my case, I only had one domain, and when I deleted it, I would have expected the number "1" to go to "0" for the email and ftp stats.
I wouldn't. Just because you delete a domain doesn't mean it didn't use resources before you deleted it.
I set up the domain "myrdd1n.net" in the user level, while logged in as admin.
DA automatically sets up a default email for that domain, [email protected].
Any mail going to that is bounced back with the error message shown in my first post.
What's your server hostname?
If I create another mailbox under, for example [email protected], all mail is recieved to that mailbox without any problems or bouncebacks.
Yes but they're two different kinds of mailboxes. The first mailbox is a system user mailbox, and all it's creating is a forward, which is why I want to know the hostname.

The second is a mail user mailbox, and has a mailbox created for it.

Jeff

jlasman said:

What's your server hostname?

Exodus.myrdd1n.net
Hostname is using main server IP

myrdd1n.net is using an IP alias on the same interface.

There are obviously many other people showing up on these forums with this, or a related issue.

Is there no one here who can provide closure to this?

This is driving me insane

Hello,

1) Try changing your hostname to:

exodus.myrdd1n.net

from

Exodus.myrdd1n.net

(lower case e)

2) Test out the MX records for all the domains involved:

dig MX gmail.com
dig MX myrdd1n.net

From your machine to make sure they resolve correctly

3) Check your /etc/virtual/limit file. Make sure it contains "0".
Also, check /etc/virtual/usage. If here are files in there that are "username", without the .bytes at the end, them the limit wasn't 0, so users are capped to the number of emails in the limit file. Each email will add 1 byte to the "username" file. once the "username" file is the size of the limt, you'll see the "Unrouteable address" error. Exims way of saying "you've sent too many emails.". The "username.bytes" files should always be there, they're seperate and just store the size of the emails sent.

John

I LOVE YOU JOHN!!
The mail went through!!! :D

I don't understand how a single capital letter threw Exim off.
I've always believed capitalism didn't matter, with regard to email/DNS.

May I suggest adding this to the proper mail setup helpfile?

No but it matters to unix, and whereis you can all your host Exodus in an email address, an browser, whatever, in the server it should be lower case.

Jeff

same problem! but the mail justs gets back with
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]

how can i fix this? we don't use the hostname like a domain, the domain it's different.

Anyone? :rolleyes:

O how can i change the username?

I can't tell from your post what we should be looking for.

How about if you create a user just for testing and post all the correct information here?

Jeff

Back