CentOS 8 = Big performance gains

ditto

Verified User
I would like to share a article with recent benchmarks of CentOS 8.0 vs CentOS 7.7, wich shows there is really big performance gains. Here is the article (make sure you read all 4 pages): https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=centos-8-benchmarks

Here is some quotes from the article (but make sure you see the benchmarks tables):

"moving to CentOS 8.0 generally means big performance gains thanks to all the package updates and improvements over the past several years."

"For most workloads, upgrading from CentOS 7 to CentOS 8.0 means significant performance improvements particularly on newer hardware platforms."

"When firing up workloads focused on stressing the kernel, CentOS 8.0 generally is a great deal faster. CentOS 7 to CentOS 8.0 means jumping from an old Linux 3.10 kernel with tons of back-ported patches to now having a fresh Linux 4.18 kernel base."

"Long story short, in many workloads CentOS 8.0 is a big deal performance wise over CentOS 7 / RHEL7"

myH2Oservers

Verified User
Do you already have experiences? I am still waiting for centos 8 images at our cloud provider.

If it is mainly due to the new kernel would centos 7 on cloudlinux be faster with the hybrid kernel (that is based on centos 8/4.18 kernel)?

ditto

Verified User
I have not yet any box with CentOS 8. However my datacenter is currently building two new dedicated servers to me, and they will have CentOS 8. It is a matter of few days before they are delivered to me. Hardly can't wait. :) I am not using Cloudlinux, and I don't know anything about their kernel. But hopefully someone else can give feedback about that.

eva2000

Verified User
Pretty much expected as much due to

1. new Linux kernel used - I use newer linux kernels on CentOS 6 and 7 systems and it helps especially for new cpus where new linux kernels support these new cpus' newer performance features

2. binary packages built with new GCC compilers i.e. GCC 8 vs CentOS 7's GCC 4.8.5 - i also build my own CentOS 6/7 nginx and php-fpm binaries with GCC 8 or 9 compilers and can have up to 10-40% better performance when paired with the right newer cpus that can take advantage of the newer GCC compilers support for them

3. newer glibc version 2.28 in CentOS 8 vs CentOS 7'S 2.17 - this unfortunately can't try on CentOS 7 without rebuilding many packages etc

4. CentOS 8 mariadb 10.3 vs CentOS 7 mariadb 5.5