cgroup usage

xerox

Verified User
Does anyone use cgroup to limit resources in centos and what's the best way to use it? Or has someone made a plugin for that ? I think this is possible. CloudLinux seems great but good taking your money also. We need something free, but good alternative to use with da.

Ideal ofc would be CustomBuild 3 with this feature implementation.

Solutions, ideas?

Last edited:
I tried api, but, the installation was not completed even after 4 hours on an 8gb box. I quit it. ( I did not try recently ).

I tried cgroup templates some time ago. This sorta worked but also sorta caused stability issues that I was never able to iron out. This was all on CentOS 6. With CentOS 7 I thought they removed most of the cgroup stuff and moved to user slices - which really does not seem like the same thing.

I found the guide at

to be useful when starting this project.

I do agree that this "should" work as a replacement for CloudLinux - you just have to get your hands a bit more dirty at the start. But as with anything (or at least in my experience) you eventually shape it into a working model (assuming it works).

But - like I said - I ran into stability issues, the server would lock up from time to time - perhaps I had my limits too low? (That's one the issues I always had with CloudLinux... you couldn't set your initial limits low enough, what's the point of having resource limits if the bottom tier works for 99.99% of your client base?). Then the fact that we started moving to CentOS 7 which does not (natively?) include cgroups (?). I just more or less abandoned the project. I started working on a more passive system that just monitors resource usage and informs us when an account reaches certain limits.

Just a FYI: they've just accused us on 'stealing' their code, https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/162609/directadmin-reusing-code-from-apiscp-apnscp

That's just some fabricated evidence, of course, but we didn't expect this :)
I know. I am testing his/their mod_evasive module which had a minor bug in DirectAdmin specific Apache installation. I reported that bug by email and he fixed it. Yesterday he emailed me if I talked to DirectAdmin about his module, which I did not. He told me that he found his module in a fresh DirectAdmin installation. I replied that it would be strange since I could not find any code related to mod_evasive in custombuild or DirectAdmin setup.sh and also the path where the module was installed to according to his question is different than the path DirectAdmin uses for Apache modules. That was also a trace that it was not installed by DirectAdmin.

Back