Change the 550 "Unknown User" message

tahir

Hello,

I want to set the bounce errors to a custom message. So, I enter the Catch-All adress like below.
Code:
:fail: "No mailbox here"
But, smtp server still returns the bounce message as
Code:
550 "Unknown User"
when the receipent is undefined.
How can I change this bounce message?

I think that's hard coded in exim.

The :fail: isn't going to change that.

Jeff

It should be configurable, I suppose.

Because, on my other site running exim, I can modify that message.
The hosting software there writes the string
"*: :fail: thebouncemessage"
at the end of valiases file and smtp engine returns that message.

Thank You,
Regards.

It may be configurable in exim.conf; find Unknown User and change it to something else, and do some testing.

Jeff

So has this ever been solved?

exim.conf does contain the following line:

Code:
message = "Unknown User"
But of course, to make the individual message show, it would be necessary to replace "Unknown User" with some sort of variable.:confused:

Thanks!

You may be able to find some help in how to change the message here (teuton.org).

Jeff

It did indeed - thanks a ton!:)

The line above simply needs to be replaced by this here:

Code:
 message = $acl_verify_message

If I understood the documentation correctly, it could be enough to simply remove that message definition altogether, but I haven't tried that.

Is $acl_verify_message defined elsewhere? As what?

If the message line is completely removed my understanding is you won't get a message. Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

Jeff

Check out #20 ACL modifiers: http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html

exim.org said:
If message is used on a statement that verifies an address, the message specified overrides any message that is generated by the verification process. However, the original message is available in the variable $acl_verify_message, so you can incorporate it into your message if you wish. In particular, if you want the text from :fail: items in redirect routers to be passed back as part of the SMTP response, you should either not use a message modifier, or make use of $acl_verify_message.

Thanks.

Try leaving the line out and see what you get. If you get what you want, then let me know; maybe I should remove it or change it in the exim.conf file.

Jeff

Back