Changing refresh field of SOA record

k1l0b1t

Verified User
I'm using my registrars DNS servers as my secondary. They pull in new data every so often based on the refresh field of the SOA record. This is currently set to 1hr, can I change this to be 5 minutes? I've looked into named.conf but didn't find anything

- V

You can make a copy of /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/named.db and place it into /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/custom/named.db and make any modifications you need. The SOA is defined in there. The refresh/retry/expire fields are not templated, so I suspect you can't change them on a per-domain basis for example. To rewrite the zones with the new template, add it to the task queue:

Bash:
echo "action=rewrite&value=named" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue

Is it perhaps better to use the standard mechanism of zone propagation? When your local bind gets a zone update, the serial number will be increased and bind reloaded, and bind should then send a notify to the secondary servers, triggering an instant zone transfer.

Last edited:
Is it perhaps better to use the standard mechanism of zone propagation? When your local bind gets a zone update, the serial number will be increased and bind reloaded, and bind should then send a notify to the secondary servers, triggering an instant zone transfer.
Yes, except the secondary NS in this case does not listen for notify requests, sadly. So this is a good compromise i think

Back