Consistent terminology for edit/save buttons

Tristan

Verified User
Hi there,

Not entirely sure whether this is a DirectAdmin issue or skin issue. However with the new features introduced by this skin, for example editing a dns record, the terminology for edit and save buttons is a bit confusing.

For the example above, the dns record editing, you'd click on the pencil with the "edit" pencil icon to the right of a dns record and it opens the edit modal where you do your edits. To actually save the edits you made you'd have to click the "edit" button in the lower right. IMHO this should be "save". To be even more clear "close" should probably be "cancel" to make it more clear edits won't be saved when hitting that button.

When you're editing a forwarder the buttons are now close and modify, when editing a mail limit it's close and save, when editing a DA user account password it's submit, when modifying a domain setup it's back and modify etc. etc. Shouldn't you pick one, for example cancel and save and use that everywhere consistently?

Hi there,

Not entirely sure whether this is a DirectAdmin issue or skin issue. However with the new features introduced by this skin, for example editing a dns record, the terminology for edit and save buttons is a bit confusing.

For the example above, the dns record editing, you'd click on the pencil with the "edit" pencil icon to the right of a dns record and it opens the edit modal where you do your edits. To actually save the edits you made you'd have to click the "edit" button in the lower right. IMHO this should be "save". To be even more clear "close" should probably be "cancel" to make it more clear edits won't be saved when hitting that button.

When you're editing a forwarder the buttons are now close and modify, when editing a mail limit it's close and save, when editing a DA user account password it's submit, when modifying a domain setup it's back and modify etc. etc. Shouldn't you pick one, for example cancel and save and use that everywhere consistently?
So this is actually something I would put in Feedback. It not really a bug it more of an enhancement to the system. albeit the process is confusing but if you click the correct buttons it works.

is the process covered here? https://www.site-helper.com/evo/adns.php
or
here https://www.site-helper.com/evo/dnssettings.php

So this is actually something I would put in Feedback. It not really a bug it more of an enhancement to the system. albeit the process is confusing but if you click the correct buttons it works.
If they call a save action differently throughout the DirectAdmin panel it could be considered a bug since it's inconstant naming.

If they call a save action differently throughout the DirectAdmin panel it could be considered a bug since it's inconstant naming.
Well it doesn't meet what I think of as a bug. However, my hero is Grace Hopper...
5593f5cc6bb3f7ac51d8d3cf

I think it screams of what we have been talking about. There needs to be a real place and a real documented process.

A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.
If the terminology is inconsistent it will cause unexpected results for the end user, if he thinks he save something by closing it after an edit and seeing afterwards it isn't saved unless he clicked edit, so yes it's a bug in my opinion.

You know I am on your side right... Didn't the funny bug picture qualify as Humor? Richard G does remind me I am not dutch all the time.:(

I wouldn't call this a bug too. Fixed in pre-release though (because it really makes sense). Thank you for the request/report.

Back