cPanel nameservers + DA

dbnet

Verified User
Hello,

I am currently considering how to best migrate many cPanel accounts to DirectAdmin.

One problem are the nameservers, which I do not want to change for every domain. I think of two ways to solve this:

1. Reconfigure the cPanel nameservers so that existing zones are resolved over the existing zone and DNS requests for non-existing zones are forwarded to the DirectAdmin nameserver.
Although I have not looked if that's technically possible, I'm pretty sure that it is possible.

Problems may occures when the account is converted to DirectAdmin, but the zone on the cPanel servers has not yet been deleted. But maybe it's possible to configure the cPanel DNS servers to first lookup the zone on the DirectAdmin server and if the zone does not exist, fallback to the local zones. I will need to check this.

2. Using this script: https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58085
The script also has handling for existing DNS zones and it can create new zones. Therefore, in the case of a restore, the zone on the cPanel nameservers should be adapted with the new server IP.
However, the thread got pretty little attention, the script may not be tested well.

I wonder how you do that? I can't imagine that it's common to ask the customers to change the nameservers or to manually change the IP on the cPanel DNS zone after every account migration.

I will be updating that script very shortly to make it a little bit more robust and handle any edge cases, as we'll be using in production within a week or so, so don't worry about that :)

Regardless, it does actually work, give it a go.

Back