Cpanel to DA migration without changing DNS

disaint

Verified User
Hi there!

I have to start migrating about 30 CPanel accounts from my current dedicated server to 2 new VPS with DA.
But I also need to keep using current nameservers when migrating all accounts backups to both DA VPS and avoid any downtime.
I have to connect CPanel DNS to DA new VPS, but I do not know if this is even possible. Maybe using NS2? I need your experience here.

This is my current setup:

- Dedicated server with 30 Cpanel accounts.
- Nameserver: ns1.domain.com (ip1) and ns2.domain.com (ip2), both in the same server.
- DA VPS 1 ready to host about 15 accounts (1/2 dedicated server)
- DA VPS 2 ready to host about 15 accounts (1/2 dedicated server)

- I have never used Cpanel DNSONLY.
- I know how to migrate all accounts and i have already test this step.
- How can I do this without downtime?

I hope you could give some advise.
Thanks in advance!

I just migrated my site from cpanel hosting to new vps with DA without downtime.
#1, i keep alive the older server
#2, i setup DA in my new server including add domain, site data,
#3, because i using windows, i test my site using host configuration in windows C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts (testing how the domain accessed from new server, actually new IP address)
#4, if something wrong, i fixed the site configuration, for example: changing webserver configuration (because before i am using apache in cpanel, but in DirectAdmin, i using Nginx), make change for CMS like WordPress to work correctly, etc"
#5, After the site working correctly when tested by windows hosts file. i can propagate without risk
#6, I just change the A Record to point the new server IP. And my site work without down time
#7, Wait for 1 minute and i add SSL for my domain in DA to my domain using OpenSSL
#8, Note: DNS server is provided by my domain registrar. And also i still use name server from the registrar because it s more safely.. Don't know if you you use name server by ur dedicated server. But i think to keep ur dedicated alive, you can do it without downtime
Hope this help

Last edited:
Thanks Kadek!

My big problem is that I have to migrate about 30 Cpanel to two separated VPS with DA. It is not only one domain.
My nameserver DNS is also provided by a Registrar. That is another issue. I can not changed "A" Records if all accounts are on new VPS.
I thought I could migrate every account individually so I could check for errors and fix them. But I think now this is not possible. Am I right?

I will have to migrate all accounts at once and then change DNS ips.
I asked this forum for some expert advise due to I have to leave Cpanel soon (new prices are killing me).

- What do you think?

You can move one at a time. Just don't change DNS until you think everything is right on the new server. Also if you can change the TTL to something very low so that DNS changes quickly.

Thanks Kadek!

My big problem is that I have to migrate about 30 Cpanel to two separated VPS with DA. It is not only one domain.
My nameserver DNS is also provided by a Registrar. That is another issue. I can not changed "A" Records if all accounts are on new VPS.
I thought I could migrate every account individually so I could check for errors and fix them. But I think now this is not possible. Am I right?

I asked this forum for some expert advise due to I have to leave Cpanel soon (new prices are killing me).

- What do you think?
I think it possible for no down time... but it should one by one,,, yes 30 domain,, its not easy job... i think really... validate every domain with different site data... (validate using windows hosts)
including email and soon, its take lot time...
Its good if you using DNS server from registrar... after site data was valid in new VPS, just change one by one in A records actually for naked "@", why not?
If site was valid in windows host, then i can propagate it from 1st and 2nd migration (additional domain in VPS server) with A name, if it's work correctly, you can do it easily for 3rd to 30th.. i think

Also, before do migrate, i create subdomain for nameserver with A record + adding SSL for nameserver. So i can accessed DA securely.
I am not using DA for DNS management like your domain, just copy DNS setting form DA to my regitrar management.

I not have experience for migrating lot of site.
I am new in this case, Just for sharing bro :)

Last edited:
You can move one at a time. Just don't change DNS until you think everything is right on the new server. Also if you can change the TTL to something very low so that DNS changes quickly.

Yes Floyd, but, moving that amount of accounts is going to take a while. Maybe some weeks to fix possible errors.
- And What about emails? for every account migrated to a new VPS (DA), later, I would have to sync emails from Cpanel. That is not possible.
- All the account use emails. I do not want to receive complains abouts missing emails after migration.

What you say about TTL is a good one!

A
Thanks Kadek!

- What do you think?
I use this to check my domain after changing A record https://www.uptrends.com/tools/cdn-performance-check if its show header 200 i think the web correctly work... but for my case i need check for directory rewrite (nginx case)

I think it possible for no down time... but it should one by one,,, yes 30 domain,, its not easy job... i think really... validate every domain with different site data... (validate using windows hosts)
including email and soon, its take lot time...
Its good if you using DNS server from registrar... after site data was valid in new VPS, just change one by one in A records actually for naked "@", why not?
If site was valid in windows host, then i can propagate it from 1st and 2nd migration (additional domain in VPS server) with A name, if it's work correctly, you can do it easily for 3rd to 30th.. i think

Also, before do migrate, i create subdomain for nameserver with A record + adding SSL for nameserver. So i can accessed DA securely.
I am not using DA for DNS management like your domain, just copy DNS setting form DA to my regitrar management.

I not have experience for migrating lot of site.
I am new in this case, Just for sharing bro :)

You are right Kadek, it is a hard work and I do not want to mess up. If change my hostname DNS from my Registrar I would change it for all the accounts. Not only one. Maybe If I can use some DNS cluster on DA or from Cpanel and add DA VPS from that. I am really new with this migration. I have never need to migrate a website jaja.

I can migrate every account (domain) to the new VPS and then change very NS1 and NS2 for each account. But in some cases the customer will have to change it. And I am trying to keep same current nameservers (ns1.domain.com) to do this migration.
I am starting to think is not possible...

You are right Kadek, it is a hard work and I do not want to mess up. If change my hostname DNS from my Registrar I would change it for all the accounts. Not only one. Maybe If I can use some DNS cluster on DA or from Cpanel and add DA VPS from that. I am really new with this migration. I have never need to migrate a website jaja.

I can migrate every account (domain) to the new VPS and then change very NS1 and NS2 for each account. But in some cases the customer will have to change it. And I am trying to keep same current nameservers (ns1.domain.com) to do this migration.
I am starting to think is not possible...
Maybe you should, to contact each custumer in private. yes not every cutomer have technical system admin knowledge...
Some case, maybe you must get trust from ur customer, to configure their domain by ur self get the (domain password)... Its slow action, but sure
I think

Yes Kadek, you are right. This migration is going to take a while.
I have access to some customers domains and some not.

Back