DA sending mail from wrong email address

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I've just checked again.

The return-path is [email protected], which I believe is as it should be; it's the software sending the email, running as diradmin on host.example.com.

Other headers as follows:

From, Sender, and Reply-To are all from the account name/address.

Why are you getting Domain not found? Isn't your hostname in DNS? It certainly should be.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

No excuses necessary, it's no big or urgent problem and it's already nice that you're looking into it.
Indeed things are working as designed, but that is the reason I make a feature request for it. Main reason is that I don't see a reason to add a hostname to DNS. Imho clients of resellers should not see original admin domains if possible.

On my own server without DA it is not necessary to put the hostname in DNS and as far as I've seen in Cpanel it isn't necessary either. And still I can send mail, complete with correct helo, SPF and all that.

Da also does not put it in there with standard installation if I'm looking correctly.
Why should a hostname be in DNS exactly? Because that is the big point I don't understand.
I know a lot of admins who don't put hostnames in their DNS.
As long als reverse lookups voor DNS servers and MX are working correctly, which they do, why should a hostname be in there?

I will give you an example for when hostname is added in DNS and things go wrong.
If the mail would be send with the correct address and return-address, the problem would not exist.

Suppose I'm reseller and I make an account. The mail gets bounced for example because I mistyped the clients email address. The return path is diradmin@hostname. So the mail will get to the diradmin account so I will never see this mail did not arrive at my client, because as reseller I don't get diradmin mails.
And if my admin is sending mails to diradmin to /dev/null nobody will ever know.
Until the clients starts complaining. We should not want clients to be able to complaint.

So thats why my suggestion is to let the mail and return path be send from the one who is really using DA at that moment under his own account, so [email protected] and if somebody else does, [email protected] should be the mail and return-path.

That is not as it is designed at the moment, and therefore the request. If it works that way, it doesn't matter if you do or don't have the hostname in DNS, because the receivers mailserver will lookup the domain name as it should, not a hostname.;)

Last edited:
Back