Damn NAMED wont start after reboot :(

DigitalDev

Verified User
Well im stumped as to why named suddenly wont fire up i have recently changed hostname of the server and its created techserv.digitaldev.org as a zone, is that something to do with is as i done a bit reading and some are saying to remove the host zone, but there is no option in dA to remove it.

I don't know what is going on now. At least a couple of years ago on a fresh install, the hostname of the server would be created as a separate DNS zone.
It is not problem and there is no need to remove it really. Even stronger, some use that to be able to generate DKIM record for the hostname.
However, I've heard that nowadays this is not default anymore. I don't know, didn't do a fresh install for a couple of years.

But you say your named won't start up after a reboot.

Does it start if you restart it manually? Or doesn't it. If not, does it show any error message?
Do the logs state anything?

It wouldnt start at all, i moved down to STABLE release which allowed my "delete zone" button to re-apear then i removed the zone serverhost.domain.com and NAMED fired back up :/

I don't know what is going on now. At least a couple of years ago on a fresh install, the hostname of the server would be created as a separate DNS zone.
It is not problem and there is no need to remove it really. Even stronger, some use that to be able to generate DKIM record for the hostname.
However, I've heard that nowadays this is not default anymore. I don't know, didn't do a fresh install for a couple of years.

But you say your named won't start up after a reboot.

Does it start if you restart it manually? Or doesn't it. If not, does it show any error message?
Do the logs state anything?
PS, name wrong digitaldev.org.UK :p hopefullly not for sale

No I editted the message later on, you forgot the UK in your first post, so hence the confusion.
It's not for sale indeed. ;)

@smtalk @fln This seems to be a general bug introduced recently. I just set up a fresh server (Debian 11), changed the hostname afterwards (through DA Administration Settings) and a zone was automatically created for the hostname of the server in DA. A reference to /etc/bind/server.hostname.com.db was created in named.conf but no corresponding .db file was created in /etc/bind. This would cause named to fail to start on a service restart or reboot.

A reference to /etc/bind/server.hostname.com.db was created in named.conf but no corresponding .db file was created in /etc/bind.
and this issue exists more than 6 months, as I remember, because I fix it each time automatically as a regular part of DA installation.. :cautious:

Back