Debian 5 SVN installation

panosru

Verified User
Hello, I'm trying to install SVN on my server.

I downloaded source code tar.bz2 from here http://subversion.tigris.org/ and placed it under /subversion-1.6.3 to compile it.

I run "./configure --prefix=/usr --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --with-apr=/usr/bin/apr-config"

But it returned:

Code:
configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support

You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.0.14 or newer
installed and linked to APR-UTIL.  We have created Makefiles which
will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
use FSFS as the default back-end.  You can find the latest version of
Berkeley DB here:
  http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/index.html

Then I run "make" and it exited with Error:

Code:
cd subversion/svn && /bin/sh /subversion-1.6.3/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -g -O2 -pthread   -rpath /usr/lib -o svn  add-cmd.o blame-cmd.o cat-cmd.o changelist-cmd.o checkout-cmd.o cleanup-cmd.o commit-cmd.o conflict-callbacks.o copy-cmd.o delete-cmd.o diff-cmd.o export-cmd.o help-cmd.o import-cmd.o info-cmd.o list-cmd.o lock-cmd.o log-cmd.o main.o merge-cmd.o mergeinfo-cmd.o mkdir-cmd.o move-cmd.o notify.o propdel-cmd.o propedit-cmd.o propget-cmd.o proplist-cmd.o props.o propset-cmd.o resolve-cmd.o resolved-cmd.o revert-cmd.o status-cmd.o status.o switch-cmd.o tree-conflicts.o unlock-cmd.o update-cmd.o util.o ../../subversion/libsvn_client/libsvn_client-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_wc/libsvn_wc-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_ra/libsvn_ra-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_diff/libsvn_diff-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la /etc/httpd/lib/libaprutil-1.la  -lexpat /etc/httpd/lib/libapr-1.la -lrt -lcrypt  -lpthread -ldl  
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lexpat
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [subversion/svn/svn] Error 1

Could anyone guide me how to install SVN?

I searched forums before I post and tried it a lot of times without a success... :(

Hello, sorry for my delay.

This is what I'm getting when I run apt-get install subversion

Code:
server:~# apt-get install subversion
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libapr1 libaprutil1 libneon27-gnutls libserf-0-0 libsvn1
Suggested packages:
  subversion-tools db4.6-util
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libapr1 libaprutil1 libneon27-gnutls libserf-0-0 libsvn1 subversion
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 73.4kB/2390kB of archives.
After this operation, 6779kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 ftp://94.75.223.121 lenny/main libaprutil1 1.2.12+dfsg-8 [73.4kB]
Err ftp://94.75.223.121 lenny/main libaprutil1 1.2.12+dfsg-8
  Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '
Failed to fetch ftp://94.75.223.121/debian/pool/main/a/apr-util/libaprutil1_1.2.12+dfsg-8_i386.deb  Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
server:~#

Problems with apt-get would have to be taken up on a Debian forum. As far as installing subversion from source, have you installed the Berkeley DB? Your original post didn't make that clear.

Jeff

I haven't either, but since the error tells you it's not installed, I'd say go ahead and install it, and see if you can then install SVN from source.

We can offer installation from source as a commercial service (our staff administrators have lots of experience installing from source); if you cannot do it yourself and would like a commercial installation service for a fee, please feel free to contact me by email at the address below in my siglines, or others on these forums who offer commercial installation services.

Jeff

Thank you for the information Jeff, its not that I don't have the experience on install something from source its that SVN is something that I didn't ever used, I saw the error but it also says "We have created Makefiles which
will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
use FSFS as the default back-end." so if it works without Berkeley DB why should I install it? I think it should work fine without it I know that SVN requires http neon to work.

You obviously know more than SVN than I do; I'm not expert on everything. I was simply following the issue brought up in the error message. If you don't want to try that, it's fine with me, but it's the end of the help I can give. Perhaps someone else will get inolved.

Jeff

Thank you! apt-get update helped! :)

Btw, is it save to run apt-get upgrade on a DA custombuild?

Code:
server:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  linux-image-2.6-686 proftpd
The following packages will be upgraded:
  acpid apt apt-utils base-files bind9 bind9-host bind9utils dnsutils gnupg gpgv libbind9-40 libdns45 libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libisc45 libisccc40 libisccfg40
  liblwres40 libmysqlclient15-dev libmysqlclient15off libsasl2-2 libsasl2-dev libsasl2-modules libxcb-xlib0 libxcb-xlib0-dev libxcb1 libxcb1-dev linux-libc-dev
  mysql-common tzdata x11-common
31 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 18.1MB of archives.
After this operation, 332kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
server:~#

I highly doubt it will since that is mysql server related. Which is installed via custombuild.

Btw, is it save to run apt-get upgrade on a DA custombuild?
If I recall correctly, the purpose of apt-get upgrade is to move to a newer version of Debian. That could cause you to upgrade into a version not supported by your current DirectAdmin license, in which case you might have to have DirectAdmin staff update your license.

Jeff

If I recall correctly, the purpose of apt-get upgrade is to move to a newer version of Debian. That could cause you to upgrade into a version not supported by your current DirectAdmin license, in which case you might have to have DirectAdmin staff update your license.

Jeff

Obviously you havent used debian much...

apt-get upgrade updates software to newest versions

Obviously you havent used debian much...

apt-get upgrade updates software to newest versions
You're right, I haven't. We specialize in CentOS-based servers. One of my administrators is very familiar with Debian, though.

I thought that's what apt-get update did.

I'll be using an Ubuntu-based desktop soon; right now we use Mandriva on our desktops.

Jeff

Back