Did anyone notice a weird character in the latest exim.variables.conf file ?

maxi32

Verified User
When I look at exim.variables.conf, I can see the folloing equal character '='. May I know what is the purpose of this equal character ?

weird-character-in-exim-conf.JPG

When I build exim_conf, I got the following error, which definitely related to the weird '=' sign.

error-build.JPG

Richard G

Verified User
Nope, that = character shouldn't be in there.
Looke like this on my servers:
Code:
2020-02-13 00:37:35 (543 KB/s) - '/etc/exim.pl.cb20' saved [18743/18743]

Enabling BlockCracking...
BlockCracking is now enabled.
2020-02-13 00:37:35 cwd=/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim --version
2020-02-13 00:37:35 cwd=/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim --version
Enabling Easy Spam Fighter...
Easy Spam Fighter is now enabled.
Restarting exim.
Maybe you can use another mirror and try again?

maxi32

Verified User
What is your current mirror? I have no luck getting rid of that character. I tried few mirrors example files2.directadmin.com, files28.directadmin.com directadmin.mirror.liteserver.nl still no luck.

Things I did:
1) rebuild exim.
2) rebuild exim_conf
3) restore da permission from here: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=173

even if I remove the character manually, it still got overwritten by the exim_conf build command.
What do you think could be wrong here.

BTW I dont have a file called
/etc/exim.variables.conf.custom

So I don't think it's coming from here.

maxi32

Verified User
Ok, I can reproduce this error:

When I set ssl_configuration=modern, and try to rebuild exim_conf, I got that weird character. I set it back to immediate and the problem is gone.

Richard G

Verified User
When I set ssl_configuration=modern, and try to rebuild exim_conf, I got that weird character.
Thank you. I use several mirrors, but I don't use that setting yet in my directadmin.conf so my servers would use the default setting.
Nice you discovered this issue!