Direct Admin Bounties ?!?

motobrandt

Verified User
This thread got me thinking about setting up a bounties section for DA improvements or plugins.

The thing is for those who've been writing plugins and add-ons it would be great to get them some monetary compensation/motivation.

Take a look at the Horde Bounties page.

I know that I would pay $100 for a nice spam filter/virus filter package that users could manage through a plugin system. I would also pay at least that for a full on Horde plugin. (man that's a b&$#h to install. :D

I've also got to take this chance to give kudos to John and the DA crew for having the foresight to implement the plugin system and lordph1l and samuleth for the amazing Installatron.

Any ideas on a bounty system or how to implement one?

I think if people where out of getting money for plugins. They would ask money for it.

I create plugins for people and my customers as said in that thread. I don't need money for it, because if people using it, it's credit enough :p

I agree but the point is that someone could make a request for something. Say a plugin for to allow users to install Mailman on their domains. They could offer a token $30 for it.

This would serve 2 functions.

1.) It would allow people like yourself to see what other people would want to use and maybe give you ideas about plugins that you hadn't thought of.

2.) Secondly it would allow hosting companys that don't have the time or personnel to accomplish a task like a Mailman plugin a way to ask for something and put a value to it.

3.) This may also be a way for others to jump in and say "Hey I'd pay $30 for that too." and someone else might add $20. While I realize that nobody is trying to make money writing these plugins, how-to's, and email improvements (thanks Jeff), hell if they were they would be broke as a joke :D , I think that it would be valuable in that someone could see that they could fullfill people's needs as well as make a bit of pocket change.

I'm just brainstorming really. It seems like a good idea to me. As DA grows and grows and takes over the control panel world customers' needs will grow exponentially and this might be a clever way of helping the cause.

;)

I'm all for bounties, but it's sometimes hard to define specs that will fulfill everyone's wish and a plugin needs a comited programmer that will handle updates and security fixes.

Back