Direct login to any email account as administrator

aitorserra

Verified User
Copy the cpanel feature to login as user to his mailbox without putting the user and password.

I think I misunderstood. I thought you wanted your Users to be able to log in to their email automatically. Your post sounds like you want to Read your users Email. Which is an invasion of Privacy and Illegal in most countries. I am with ditto if that is what you mean.

Otherwise you need to rephrase (edit) your post.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you, I only opened this thread because support toll me to "vote" for this.

-1, I do not want the feature to be implemented. A hosting provider should never login to a customer email account without consent from the customer, and when giving consent the customer can share the password and change it afterwards.

Yes, thank you, I only opened this thread because support toll me to "vote" for this.
Voting is something else then creating a new topic. :)
Check the feature request section, there is already a request for this. Best is to indeed vote there, so reply with a +1 or something like that.

Best is not to have different request for the same thing:
Check
http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58099
and/or
http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58088
and add your vote there.

@Ditto: Agreed, I had the same argument, but the counter argument against this was that any admin always can read users mail if he wants, also on a DA server. On Cpanel this login option is a default. I don't like it either, but nobody cares. They think it's more easy to give support that way.

SgYRJC

-1, I do not want the feature to be implemented. A hosting provider should never login to a customer email account without consent from the customer, and when giving consent the customer can share the password and change it afterwards.

Any one with access to your panel can read your mail - from file manager for example, (you can test it open it and browse mail dir where the mail is ) it is just no so convenient and file manager even look like mail program :)

then you can test it with ftp no locked to domain folder (or even it is, some one can use it to upload php /cgi shell - same thing happens when they hack WP site ) or they can trough normal trough shell with cat / nano / mc

Any one with access to your panel can read your mail - from file manager for example, (you can test it open it and browse mail dir where the mail is ) it is just no so convenient and file manager even look like mail program :)

then you can test it with ftp no locked to domain folder (or even it is, some one can use it to upload php /cgi shell - same thing happens when they hack WP site ) or they can trough normal trough shell with cat / nano / mc

You can do allot of things as admin or root. That doesn't mean you should or it needs to be easy. With great power comes great responsibility. There are a lot more important things we need than this. Also you are using illegal activity in you reasoning. If someone hacks the box its lost anyway. I am with @ditto and @Richard G

@PMbdacus01

I mean you can do it as user too

auto login will work for logged into the user panel if someone is logged in he / she / them can easily can read the mail even without auto login or special skills

@PMbdacus01

auto login will work for logged into the user panel if someone is logged in he / she / them can easily can read the mail even without auto login or special skills

I still don't see your point of this is a high priority issue. This post is for a admin reading someone else mail... please stay on topic. We are not debating we are voting..

Yes, only for that users own account. Not related to the question though.

Still a -1 from me.

But a +1 if it would be a switchable option, off by default.

This is something that isn't necessary, cpanel users should just get used that some things will work differently with directadmin.

I think this feature will not invade privacy because of you can read email of customer from console or using any other inbuilt software.

However direct login as administrator to customer email can give us option to fix their issues quickly instead of waiting for their response, resetting email password, etc.

However, DA is not cpanel and DA have unique features but everything depend on DA developers.

I rarely used this feature in cPanel as an admin.

When I get support request says email is not working, then I usually create a test email account.

Because most of the time, the issue would be related to DNS settings.

However, from the user level account, it is a Good to Have feature so the users can log in quickly.

I think this feature will not invade privacy because of you can read email of customer from console or using any other inbuilt software.

However direct login as administrator to customer email can give us option to fix their issues quickly instead of waiting for their response, resetting email password, etc.

However, DA is not cpanel and DA have unique features but everything depend on DA developers.

I am sure different countries have different laws and customs.. Also to be clear here we are speaking about just going in to some customers account and reading their personal email with out them knowing or giving consent. You want an easier way to do this?? Doing something you should not be doing. Doing this in USA will get you sued and possible criminal charges filed. This would be like you going over to some random persons home opening their Post mail and reading it.

BTW I want you to know Mail is printed on paper so its readily available and common so just go do it...I mean its there you can physically go to you neighbors mail box and pull out his mail and read it. This is the argument..?

So -1 still..

However, from the user level account, it is a Good to Have feature so the users can log in quickly.
Not really an argument, because they have to use the cpanel login credentials then anyway. In that case it's the same as if they login to webmail directly with the credentials. Only difference is when they are having multiple accounts.
As DA admin and also Cpanel admin in our case most of our users rarely visit mail via the panel. They almost exclusively use e-mail clients for their mail.

When I say "users" I mean "customers". So there are "customers" that manage various accounts and want this feature. +1

+ 1 for the feature. Absolutely necessary.
It can be switchable.
Users can be explained what is needed for the email support issue to be solved - if the case is a direct email access - it can be obtained only after an user permission.
For those with the GDPR concerns - the feature is there in cPanel for years so stop that ok? :)

Back