DirectAdim with external mysql database

jimmyk2

Verified User
Hello,

I am looking at using DirectAdmin on either Debian or Cento6.x with an external mysql database.

Looking at the install docs DirectAdmin seems to install its own version of Mysql (please correct me if i am wrong here).

My question is; if I use Centos6 for DirectAdmin and an external Mysql database server install running on Debian squeeze will this give me any problems, as a result of DirectAdmin being developed to use a specific version of Mysql?

I am also considering using Debian6 for both DirectAdmin and the external Mysql server, but I am still a little concerned about breaking DirectAdmin with an apt-get upgrade.

james

scsi - i have read the link you posted before. I am just wondering if I am likely to encounter any issues between DirectAdmin and the distro installed Mysql on the external server.

One thought that occured to me was phpmyadmin would be provided by DirectAdmin and mysql would be packaged by Debian. PhpMyAdmin currently works MySQL 5.0.1 and above, but I don't really use PhpMyAdmin so I was wondering if there is there much of a risk that the DirectAdmin phpmyadmin might fail to connect properly to the debian Mysql if the DirectAdmin updates proceed faster that the Debian packaged version of Mysql.

scsi - i have read the link you posted before. I am just wondering if I am likely to encounter any issues between DirectAdmin and the distro installed Mysql on the external server.p
My understanding (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is that DirectAdmin uses standard MySQL; the only things different are in the local configurations. I know that in the past we've used CentOS MySQL installs without problems on DirectAdmin based servers.
One thought that occured to me was phpmyadmin would be provided by DirectAdmin and mysql would be packaged by Debian. PhpMyAdmin currently works MySQL 5.0.1 and above, but I don't really use PhpMyAdmin so I was wondering if there is there much of a risk that the DirectAdmin phpmyadmin might fail to connect properly to the debian Mysql if the DirectAdmin updates proceed faster that the Debian packaged version of Mysql.
I don't know how or if Debian packages are delayed, but I doubt there'd be a problem. If there were you could always install on Debian from source.

Jeff

I can confirm that DirectAdmin use standard MySQL. (Generic) When there is an update for MySQL, I usually download MySQL from MySQL website and put it there before running ./build update_version. This is to reduce download time when DirectAdmin update it.

This is to reduce download time when DirectAdmin update it.

Select the fastest mirror then:

Code:
# cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
# ./build set_fastest

Select the fastest mirror then:

Code:
# cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
# ./build set_fastest

Thanks for suggestion. I already did that but the time takes just to download can still be sometime between 10 mins - 30 mins. Could be some limit in the Datacenter I use. It would be better if Custombuild download it first using ./build update. Then, really do update by .build update_versions like Custombuild do with other software :(

My use of english may have been a little confusing in my opening post. When I wrote “DirectAdmin seems to install its own version of Mysql” I really meant that a source version of Mysql was being used as opposed to the Mysql packaged by Debian (and available via apt-get) or Centos (available via yum).

Anyway this seems to have been clarified by your replies. Personally I would like to use the Debain packaged version of Mysql for the external Mysql database, which is why is raised this question.

To stay in step with the version that DirectAdmin ships it would seem that I would need to install Mysql from source, which is what I would like to avoid doing.

My latest/next concern with an external Mysql install relates to diskspace. If I use an external server for mysql would DirectAdmin be able to limit the amount of disk space that is consumed on the external database server? I am assuming that it would not be able to. Is anyone able to offer any advice on this issue?

I suppose not, cause DA use quota to check used space and will not be able to check remote disk space... actually, im not either sure DA check the MySQL space on a local system cause as far as i know mysql data directory is owner by mysql user and not from domain's user..

The space used by mysql i suppose is counted by mysql server, so, the amount of mysql data in a database in mysql management page i suppose will be working aswell cause is the MySQL server that is telling how much is big the db.

Regards

My understanding is that DirectAdmin checks the usage of the MySQL databases nightly manually (not using quota), and applies limits at that time.

It cannot do that on an external server.

Jeff

So it will be a headache to manage the mysql database sizes of each user with an external db. I did think I read an old post on this forum for a DirectAdmin admin that seemed to suggest that when using an external database DA users would be to see the size of their database usage through the DA interface, but I could have read this incorrectly.

Perhaps I should check this with DirectAdmin, or it sounds like I will have to start looking at various scripts to keep a track on database usage - if I went down the route of separating mysql from DirectAdmin.

Hello,

For clarification, DA grabs the MySQL disk usage through MySQL's socket or host IP, so your database can be anywhere, that doesn't make any difference.
A remote MySQL box will return the same usage as would a local MySQL setup.

Note that although DA does report disk usage (table sizes) in DA, there are no limits to be enforced with MySQL, as there are no MySQL size quotas.
Only system quotas are enforced (files uploaded by the User under /home/user), as there is a mechanism in place by the system.

If MySQL ever comes out with a database quota limit, then we'd implement it into DA, but I'm not sure that they will, as that could cause database corruption once its full.

DA will still notify the Reseller if the User goes over 100% usage (but won't suspend, unless you have that enabled: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=713)

John

Thanks for the clarification John.

It looks like I will need to keep a careful eye on disk usage.

Hello,

For clarification, DA grabs the MySQL disk usage through MySQL's socket or host IP, so your database can be anywhere, that doesn't make any difference.
A remote MySQL box will return the same usage as would a local MySQL setup.

Note that although DA does report disk usage (table sizes) in DA, there are no limits to be enforced with MySQL, as there are no MySQL size quotas.
Only system quotas are enforced (files uploaded by the User under /home/user), as there is a mechanism in place by the system.

If MySQL ever comes out with a database quota limit, then we'd implement it into DA, but I'm not sure that they will, as that could cause database corruption once its full.

DA will still notify the Reseller if the User goes over 100% usage (but won't suspend, unless you have that enabled: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=713)

John

There is a way to implement MySQL database quotas easily if XFS is in use.
Just set a project quota on /var/lib/mysql/databasename directory. A recent MySQL engine will not crash, it will return an error message like "out of disk space" for write operations on this database.

Back