DirectAdmin/custombuild release/package update notification (request/suggestion)

cjd

Verified User
Just a thought while I was doing my usual looking around the forums for updates/news/fixes, not sure if this would be of interest to others, but I know I don't always have time to check the forums for update/downgrade/config-change messages (some of which could be very important, but miss the messages in the forum). But I think it would be nice, when there is an update to say custombuild/packages/da-release that gets pushed out to be able to receive an email notification with just a brief message (short description of what update is/cve/patch/downgrade/etc), kind of a running change log via email that can be subscribed to. Not sure how feasible this could be to implement/automate with the current development environment (so that it doesn't have to be manually batched/entered, just a public tag in the commit message that would be easy to parse). If it's in say git could parse the commit messages say once an hour for the appropriate branch, and if something is tagged public/release have it group those commit messages together and send out an email. If the messages could also have a priority/cve/importance rating that would be awesome. I already keep subscribed to a bunch of other security notifications (Debian/Ubuntu/FreeBSD, router/switch firmware/security updates, hypervisors, etc) via email so it would keep things consistent as other vendors also do it.

@smtalk @fln

But I think it would be nice, when there is an update to say custombuild/packages/da-release that gets pushed out to be able to receive an email notification with just a brief message

You can setup a cron that runs daily?

You can also use this to send Pushover notifications:

Yes, I have that on one install that does email me, but it is not very informative. On many installs I even have the OS (Debian) auto upgrades configured, which also email me. But the problem with those are they just show that there is a version update available/installed. Doesn't show that it was just a routine update, fixed a CVE, why something was rolled back (regression that possibly needs attention), config change. As an example, I receive the Debian security list, it notifies of CVE's with packages/updates, which gives me a heads up on security issues that need attention and why. Would be nice to receive a one line note of the commit message (cve if applicable), could even then easily give notices of changes to custombuild itself for changes in functionality. And if done using the version control messages (git) gives minimal extra load for the developers to maintain (and encourage descriptive commit messages), as it would already be part of the commit message for the repo.

Looks like there's no interest in something like this from the lack of response.

Maybe it's because of the lack of patience? Especially now with these days not everybody is looking at the forums.

You also might try the appropriate section for that, which is:
which needs a seperate account by the way.
Pleae try (if possible) to add some alinea's and maybe a white space to make things a bit more readable.

Sorry for the spacing, I have been working from my phone a lot lately.

I probably should be a bit more patient (OCD sysadmin, always working on stuff, constantly checking multiple forums and security lists). Sometimes I forget to have a life, and many people are probably off on holidays (which is when i'm usually doing more work).

Was kind of just curious if anyone else is interested. I will make a feedback topic suggestion tomorrow. I keep forgetting that is there.

Thank you for your reply.

Back