DirectAdmin don't work after Ubuntu upgrade

Marcosi

Verified User
After upgrading my Ubuntu today I can't access DirectAdmin any more. I have read the threads, but did not find any regarding Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-35-generic x86_64)

The error I get from SSH is the:
/usr/local/directadmin/dataskq: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Could somebody please point me to the right thread / guide what to do.

Many thanks!

Thanks!
I tried this two suggestions:
Debian 6, if you update to 5.5.11 from 5.5.9, they've changed the libmysqlclient.so.16 to libmysqlclient.so.18, so it just needs a relink. If you run this
and:
Some reported cases of the link to 18 not working, so the 16 version has been made available. Type:

But I still get the same error. Do I have to restart Apache or anything after?

What does the libmysqlclient.so file do, and does it only affect DirectAdmin or something else too?

Last edited:
DA is not supporting for Ubuntu 12 yet. Currently it's working on Ubuntu Lucid that's based on Debian 6 only.

After some help from one of the pro's here SeLLeRoNe, so now DA is up and running again :) My client will change host and OS from Ubuntu to Debian. Soon I hope!

Ubuntu is not my favourite server OS. I think Debian is more stable.

Thanks guys!

Nice to know. Just curious, why do you choose Debian / Ubuntu OS? Why not CentOS?

I know that Cento is a good OS. But I think that Cento or Debian is more a matter of preference. Even if I know very little about UNIX/Linux I have worked some with Debian so it will be easier for me to work with.

And also I am a Mac user (FreeBSD), and correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe Debian and FreeBSD is also more similar then Cento and FreeBSD?

But CentOS/RHEL are the system where DA is originally written, that's why everyone would suggeste CentOS/RHEL instead of Debian (that yes is supported but is not main os where is "created").

Also, differences between Debian and CentOS are not that big, just some system paths, i did start with FreeBSD, than passed on Debian, and now use just CentOS with DA and ive notice a big increase of stability and compatibility without much pain as you're suffering (and i did in past) with os upgrades and other softwares.

Regards

I understand that. But on the other hand. One can not chose an OS after what control panel to use. But when the time comes to change, I will for sure make a thorough investigations of what OS and also other applications to use.

It has to be chosen for what purpose the server will be used for. In my case running Magento.

For an example, I'm also looking at changing from Apache to nginx.

But Magento is not OS depending... need Apache PHP Mysql, not a predefined OS, so, you should always check the best choise for your CP and software ;)

Regards

I'm mainly using Debian, just because it was the first Linux OS I used. At the end I don't think it matters that much.

I use CentOS version 5 and version 6 on my DirectAdmin servers, for the reason SeLLeRoNe mentions, and I use Kubuntu 12.04 (LTS) on the desktop (though I'm considering moving to another KDE distribution).

Yes, they're similar enough under the hood that it's easy enough to switch as an admin, but in my opinion, not so much for development of something as complex as a hosting server. And as SeLLeRoNe also says, I have had and seen less problems with DirectAdmin on CentOS.

Jeff

I'm not sure the article is anything but a red-herring, since as DirectAdmin users we don't care what versions of the hosting stack are included or maintained by either, because the hosting stack is managed by DirectAdmin and doesn't use the various OS Distributions installation packages or in many cases the default OS Distribution directory structure.

The biggest differences would be in the functions of various core programs (Linux uses Gnu software; I believe that FreeBSD doesn't) and I often find that programs I've come to depend on work differently on FreeBSD than they do on Linux.

And of course the directory structures for programs installed by the OS might be quite different.

Jeff

Back