Directadmin migrating to new server.

Marcooo

Hello,

Today i want to try to migrate all users and resellers to a new server but its not working.

i followed the manual to do that and the data is on the new server only when i restore the old data its not doing all the users and its not saying its done or something i also dont get a error message or succes message.

Which manual did you follow so that we have a better idea of what was done?

Is anything noted in the Admin's messages? Or do you see any errors in the path below?

/home/admin/admin_backups/*error.log

What about anything in /var/log/directadmin/system.log ?

Do you still seeing any running restore processes via shell?

Do you still have adequate disk space?

Which manual did you follow so that we have a better idea of what was done?

Is anything noted in the Admin's messages? Or do you see any errors in the path below?

/home/admin/admin_backups/*error.log

What about anything in /var/log/directadmin/system.log ?

Do you still seeing any running restore processes via shell?

Do you still have adequate disk space?

thanks for the answer i followed 2 manuals one from directadmin itself so
and

both no luck.

/home/admin/admin_backups/*error.log is not exist

/var/log/directadmin/system.log says all users are transfered and no problems.

there is enough diskspace left and there is no restore process running

oke so some users are transfered (50% or so)
resellers are transfered but not with websites

1.) The admin backup/transfer only backups up and transfers the accounts. So on the new server you need to use admin backup/transfer again to restore the accounts. This should give you messages in the system if the restore is succeeded or not. Same for the backup.

2.) Be aware of restore settings, when using new ip's or new nameservers, check the appropriate boxes (or uncheck them) on the bottom of the admin backup/transfer page -before- restoring.

3.) If you're using the link from crybit, you have to use rsync. I'd rather use the build in option because it transfers all sites and databases automatically.

Can you please explain
Using rsync means you have to do part of the moving manuall via console with the rsync command.
Not everybody is able or want's to login as root via SSH and use the rsync command.

I always use the backup/transfer option to make admin backups on the current server and then use rsync to transfer those over to the new server's admin backup directory so I can restore there.
But I don't split home and/or other things. Some people like it more by using rsync in various ways. Some for example don't backup the mail and use rsync to bring over all mail seperately.

For people starting with hosting or are not really eager to use SSH yet, I always advise to use the build in backup/transfer option from Directadmin itself. Because that will do everything automatically for you.
In any case you need enought space on the server to create the backups.

Admin backup/transfer is a transfer tool.
you can't call that a transfer tool. it does close to nothing.

i'm vouching for DA, but the process to migrate MASS Server from DA to DA is even harder than from CP to DA.

you can't call that a transfer tool. it does close to nothing.
Laugh what you want.
Transfertools are just that. They can exist in any variation of options just like a backup tool (little or a lot of options).
So yes admin backup/transfer is a transfertool and you can transfer all accounts with it.

I never said it was a big one or extensive one, but you never stated what kind of transfer tool you were looking for or thinking of, but just made a loose meaningless reply at that point. You could just as wel be a beginner now knowing of it. I can't guess what you mean.

If you want a better one like the one from cP, then vote for it, because i'm almost sure it's there in the feedback forum. In fact there are a couple.

As for the mass... depends on what you call a mass. But I also never said there was no room for improvement. :)

the needs for a transfer tool....

If you want to do one-click transfer to another server in DirectAdmin, then yes, it's not possible yet. DirectAdmin does not have such a tool. You will need to do 2 steps (as Richard already mentioned):

- backup account
- restore account

When backuping an account you might store it locally on the source server or select a FTP account on a target server. When restoring accounts you might again choose a source: local disk or remote FTP account. That's it.

If you want to do one-click transfer to another server in DirectAdmin, then yes, it's not possible yet. DirectAdmin does not have such a tool. You will need to do 2 steps (as Richard already mentioned):

- backup account
- restore account

When backuping an account you might store it locally on the source server or select a FTP account on a target server. When restoring accounts you might again choose a source: local disk or remote FTP account. That's it.
from the last time that i talked with support about this, it was not that easy to migrate 400 accounts. i would need to be like hours doing that manual process.

from the last time that i talked with support about this, it was not that easy to migrate 400 accounts. i would need to be like hours doing that manual process.

All the options were already mentioned. If you want to learn how we migrate accounts then you are welcome to read these threads:

- https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/backup-restoration-failed.68090/#post-359718
- https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/issue-restoring-reseller.68081/#post-359692

We migrated 400-600 accounts with terabytes of user data this way. It is still possible to migrate more accounts.

All the options were already mentioned. If you want to learn how we migrate accounts then you are welcome to read these threads:

- https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/backup-restoration-failed.68090/#post-359718
- https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/issue-restoring-reseller.68081/#post-359692

We migrated 400-600 accounts with terabytes of user data this way. It is still possible to migrate more accounts.
what's the issue with saying that DA needs a Transfer Tool?

can't understand why i'm getting replied with such a basic idea.

yes you can rsync, you can even download 1 file by 1 file to your computer, copy it to a USB and drive to the DC and connect it to the server too. you can do 1000 ways non-efficient.

still, DA needs a transfer tool, JUST like it has one to migrate from Cpanel to DA. that's basic.

what's the issue with saying that DA needs a Transfer Tool?

I'm not that guy who can help you with it and make DirectAdmin to add the feature. I don't work for DirectAdmin and I'm not their choice maker, so why would I say it? I prefer to use what I have and do not feel sorry about what I'm missing. Probably I got you wrong and you don't need instructions on how to transfer accounts. If this is the case, I bring my apologizes. Have a good day.

1.) The admin backup/transfer only backups up and transfers the accounts. So on the new server you need to use admin backup/transfer again to restore the accounts. This should give you messages in the system if the restore is succeeded or not. Same for the backup.

2.) Be aware of restore settings, when using new ip's or new nameservers, check the appropriate boxes (or uncheck them) on the bottom of the admin backup/transfer page -before- restoring.

3.) If you're using the link from crybit, you have to use rsync. I'd rather use the build in option because it transfers all sites and databases automatically.
@Richard G , I did it last time when I changed servers and I had to recreate the accounts for the migration to be done normally.

Back