directadmin modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean

Verified User
Looking for some directadmin modifications.

I've attached a text file to explain. Please email me: sean AT suthnet.com or icq 96944506

Attachments

• hosting.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 496
I took a quick look and it appears to be a lot of some of the previous suggestions for directadmin, in regards to more advanced user levels (admin>reseller>user>reseller etc).

Just out of curiosity, you wrote "use directadmin as backbone." so I guess you know that no modifications can be made to DirectAdmin since it is written in C (or C++), that is unless DA is willing to trust someone with the source, which I doubt
;)
So, are you thinking of a completely independent application, a type of mini control panel to serve along side DA with the functions listed. Or a plugin accessed from within DirectAdmin for these functions along with a modified skin for things such as the billing link?

jmstacey said:
I took a quick look and it appears to be a lot of some of the previous suggestions for directadmin, in regards to more advanced user levels (admin>reseller>user>reseller etc).

Just out of curiosity, you wrote "use directadmin as backbone." so I guess you know that no modifications can be made to DirectAdmin since it is written in C (or C++), that is unless DA is willing to trust someone with the source, which I doubt
;)
So, are you thinking of a completely independent application, a type of mini control panel to serve along side DA with the functions listed. Or a plugin accessed from within DirectAdmin for these functions along with a modified skin for things such as the billing link?

Sorry I was confusing. I meant an application that works alongside DA, perhaps using its api. It should plugin to DA with these functions, like you said with a billing link.

sean said:
Looking for some directadmin modifications.

I've attached a text file to explain. Please email me: sean AT suthnet.com or icq 96944506
Sean, would you consider posting your entire request so folk might go through it and ask questions?

That might be a bit easier.

Jeff

Re: Re: directadmin modifications

jlasman said:
Sean, would you consider posting your entire request so folk might go through it and ask questions?

That might be a bit easier.

Jeff

Not sure what I mean... I did post my request.

-use directadmin as backbone.
-use paypal for billing (using subscription feature or one-time for certain things, like ip upgrades)
-you can see what we have set up so far at http://www.blinghost.com:2222

Two sets of users: resellers and users

RESELLERS
-should be able to auto-signup, creates account after billing goes through. (we will have various plans, plans would have link on our site, after going to page they can also upgrade certain features as prices we specify (features for reseller plans here: http://www.blinghost.com:2222/CMD_SHOW_RESELLER_PACKAGE?package=ROO1)
-should be able to set their own paypal account in the system so they can handle billing and set up user plans on their own.
-should be able to auto upgrade plan
-should be able to specify prices for plans
-at end of billing period, if has gone over bandwidth limit, charge overage feeds based on what we specify for that plan. (ie, $1/gig)(invoice this as we cant automatically charge through paypal)
-do not allow reseller to go 25% over bandwidth limit(disable account until they pay for extra bandwidth), send email when they get to 90%, then 100% as warning.
-allow to buy more ips (we specify price per plan, allow for recurring options and bill using paypal supscription feature)
-allow to upgrade certain features of their plan (features for reseller plans here: http://www.blinghost.com:2222/CMD_SHOW_RESELLER_PACKAGE?package=R001)
-ability to give certain resellers special pricing
-should have an admin where we can specify plans, pricing, see stats, etc.
-billing link should be integrated into directadmin control panel for users

USERS
-same as above, but directadmin handles these accounts differently

-Here is where I set up sample reseller plans: http://www.blinghost.com:2222/CMD_MANAGE_RESELLER_PACKAGES
-Here is where i set up sample user plans: http://www.blinghost.com:2222/CMD_MANAGE_USER_PACKAGES (resellers set up their own user plans)

-Users should have access to billing history and invoices, plus links to paypal to pay for anything going over package
-Also set up "dedicated" plans that are not handled auto by directadmin, just signup and we can see it online - basically just shows monthly cost - bills them with paypal - we will set up the dedicated machine ourselves - user should be able add more ips, bandwidth, etc, offer link to paypal to pay for them, and we can see it in the admin to add the requested upgrade.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF THAT IS USEFULL

ADDITIONAL (give as seperate quote, bigger job)
(these features would just make it easier for us to add addtional web servers, better scalability)
-central dns
-central mail server
-easy to move users or entire resellers to other servers
-when setting up new users/resellers, setup on servers we specify as free

Out of curiosity,
Why not use Hsphere? It can do almost all of these things out of the box. I would love to see DA do all of these things though:)

Why not just buy a billing system ?

As most of the features you describe are the same as a billing system. (Modernbill maybe ? )

fusionictnl said:
Why not just buy a billing system ?

As most of the features you describe are the same as a billing system. (Modernbill maybe ? )

If someone wants to quote me a price on setting something like this up and walking one of my guys through the admin... please do so.

Mbill is not going to do any of the additional things you want to do. Just so that you know.

OK, does anyone know if this can be done? Or wishfull thinking?

I don't know to be honest. I do know Hsphere soes much of what you want to do. That's about all I can say.

Actually fusionictnl has a point. The new DirectAdmin plugin for ModernBill supports a lot of what you listed for billing from what I've heard. Like charging for overage and better up/downgrade management.
You may want to take a look at it. Setup properly to be fully automated it may extenguish a good portion of your list.
I think there was a feature list on http://forums.modernbill.com

The other stuff is certainly possible to do, but would probably require a good ammount of time since evertying would have to be done directly editing the necessary files since DA doesn't handle it.

I would not want to see billing management built into DA such as hsphere. It would only add to the load of icing features which can alredy be handled by whoiscart(silverstar) and mbill etc.

rldev said:
Out of curiosity,
Why not use Hsphere? It can do almost all of these things out of the box. I would love to see DA do all of these things though:)
Perhaps because H-Sphere uses a mail server that hasn't been updated by the author since 1998?

(You had to ask, eh :eek: .)

Jeff

jmstacey said:
I would not want to see billing management built into DA such as hsphere. It would only add to the load of icing features which can alredy be handled by whoiscart(silverstar) and mbill etc.
I agree. Having a billing solution built in to DirectAdmin would mean the staff would be working on solutions easily obtainable elsewhere instead of on other features which we'd all like to see and aren't available elsewhere.

Jeff

Look this is not a Hsphere vs DA thread. The point was simply that almost everything this user wants to pay a lot of money to have done can already be done with Hsphere as it is now. I'm just trying to help the guy in case he was not aware.

You can say whatever you want about Qmail, but currently as it stands Hsphere's "entire" mail system as a whole is better then DA's. No uwimap or Mbox to drag a server down. SA/CLAM on a per email account level. MTA's are only part of the mail setup, how you deploy it and with what other tools is another matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't believe I am, but doesn't Yahoo use Qmail. How many millions of emails do they serve per day? Besides the people at Hsphere, Plesk and Yahoo have the horses to modify whatever they need. Should one choose Cpanel because it has Exim?

Last edited:
rldev said:
Look this is not a Hsphere vs DA thread. The point was simply that almost everything this user wants to pay a lot of money to have done can already be done with Hsphere as it is now. I'm just trying to help the guy in case he was not aware.

You can say whatever you want about Qmail, but currently as it stands Hsphere's "entire" mail system as a whole is better then DA's. No uwimap or Mbox to drag a server down. SA/CLAM on a per email account level. MTA's are only part of the mail setup, how you deploy it and with what other tools is another matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't believe I am, but doesn't Yahoo use Qmail. How many millions of emails do they serve per day? Besides the people at Hsphere, Plesk and Yahoo have the horses to modify whatever they need. Should one choose Cpanel because it has Exim?

I was going to keep my mouth firmly shut on this issue - but anyway :)

It took ALOT of effort on Psoft's part to get the mail system working the way it does.

I didn't see Sean asking for per-user SPAM settings - IiRC DA doesn't support per-user SPAM settings but I find that 95% of my actual spam is blocked by the RBLs used.

I like DA because its cheap & runs well on lower-spec servers. H-Sphere requires alot more system resources for the CP itself and isn't really suitable for single box installs.

The other reason why I chose DA is that I intend to use it for hosting accounts that are basically free - so I don't wish to pay $5/user for that.

I am intending to create a paypal or free signup script for DA .

BTW
1) H-Sphere uses courier-IMAP for imap access. It is not installed by default.
2) I don't like cPanel - exim or not
3) You can actually use different MTA's with H-Sphere

-John

Again this is not a DA vs Hsphere debate. Frankly the two are not comprable. They are for different market segments at this point in time. Sean was asking for a lot of modifications for DA, which will undoubtably cost him a lot of money. So I suggested he take a look at Hsphere since it does almost everything he wants to do right now. Since sean asked for a seperate mail server box, I assumed having more then one server was a given. I love DA, but that doesn't mean that other systems don't have their merits.

I think it's time to close this thread.

I agree this is not a DA vs H-Sphere thread.

Nor is it a request to hire someone to make modifications to DirectAdmin, because DA has not and doesn't intend to release the source code, so that would be futile.

If Sean, the original poster, wants to take some of his ideas which haven't already been posted to the wish list for the next version of DA, and post them there, that would be a good idea.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back