DirectAdmin on Gentoo Linux

localhost

Verified User
Hello members.

I started couple of days ago a DA Cent OS to Gentoo migration. Currently I finished making DirectAdmin run natively under Gentoo without any Cent OS libs or shared objects.

I really want DA to support officially Gentoo Linux, so I will make a HOW TO when everything will be finished.

I am rewriting now the setup.sh script provided by DA so it can fully support Gentoo Linux.
Also I am planning to make a special custombuild for Gentoo that will work tight with DA.

At this moment there is one TO-DO I am willing to finish:
  • Full Gentoo support
  • Write own custombuild (using emerge )
  • Rewrite the setup.sh provided by DirectAdmin

If there are interested people joining this project and making it even better please let me know here or via PM.

Update : 19.02.2010
Currently DirectAdmin works 99,9% under Gentoo. There is only couple of things left to be done.
Also fully custombuild support via emerge, and updates are applied via portage. I think i will provide a mirror for DA Gentoo setup and needed files.

Update : 09.04.2010
Currently DirectAdmin works 100,0% under Gentoo. Everything runs natively without any issues.
Working on custombuild support via emerge and gentooDA. I am also finishing the setup script for Gentoo systems.

More information will be posted on www.da-wiki.com

Thanks,
Max

Last edited:
I really want DA to support officially Gentoo Linux, so I will make a HOW TO when everything will be finished.
Have you discussed this with DirectAdmin Staff?

Your support would be of interest to a few people, but it certainly won't be the same as official support from JBMC, the publishers of DirectAdmin.

Jeff

Actually I did wrote a letter to JBMC they didn't answer. Anyway I can provide fulll third party support without them.

My understanding is that the purpose of Gentoo is to manually build the software on the server to match your hardware.

Do you plan on building the entire software from scratch using Gentoo? Or just the hosting stack?

If all the software on the server, how quickly will you be able to install updates?

If only the hosting stack, then how does your project significantly differ from building the entire hosting stack from scratch using DirectAdmin's CustomBuild?

Jeff

Yes. I just building the entire hosting stack. Updates are better than DA updates cause Gentoo community creates patches as soon as a new threat is out there.

Gentoo as a OS is very different from CentOS or other RedHat like. I am using CentOS now, but on Gentoo with the same hardware I am gaining more than 40% of productivitu, plus on Gentoo i have USE flags so I can make my PHP support everything in less than 10 minutes.
Also MySQL on DA comes from RPM which is really bad. Gentoo's MySQL works 3-4 times faster than RPM version. There is also the Kernel, which supports the things you only need for hosting so you wont get hacked just because somebody from RedHat made a mistake.
By the way, a full emerge system which upgrades my whole system and system related software takes up to 40 minutes on my server.

I agree, Gentoo is a wonderful system that can be customized in a way no other system can (besides slackware, but that's too much). It's not for everyone, and is also somehow different from any other distribution, but the community is large and friendly.

On my servers I've been using FreeBSD up to 4.x and then Debian stable(+backports) until now, but if this mod for DA is really working I'll build my next one, in a month, on Gentoo :) keep us posted!
Also, I offer my help to test new releases or even help with the project. I think I'm quite good at Gentoo, it is my home desktop OS since 2005.

@tillo,

I hope you'll keep us posted :).

If you're willing to discuss Gentoo on the desktop please start a new off-topic thread; I'm disgusted with Kubuntu; I'd love to open a dialogue on Gentoo.

Jeff

I'll will for sure :)
About Gentoo as desktop, I don't have very much to say... also keep in mind that I'm not the regular desktop user :) I don't do games, I prefer the command line for almost everything and my workstation is more like a complex developing server for a lot of software I'd like to know of (I've 1615 programs installed at the moment). But if anyone has questions, and the gentoo wiki can't help, I'm here.

Last edited:
Thanks tillo.
I think in couple of days everything will be ready, also I will provide full support by adding nginx, lighttpd to work with DirectAdmin on Gentoo.

Tha patch will also include a DDoS protection feature, and ClamAV integration with Proftpd.

I will write everything on a http://da-wiki.com

keep in mind that I'm not the regular desktop user :)
Nor am I. I haven't programmed in years; my desktops are used entirely for business management. Usually I have KMail opened, and a browser, and lots of terminal shells running ssh to foreign severs, spread out over four desktops.

I'll build another machine soon; I want to get back into programming. Gentoo will probably be good for that.

Jeff

We've started a blog at wiki.dagurus.com.

You can't see it until someone logs in and tightens it up. We're working on getting that done.

For more information, look at this post. Join the mailing list mentioned therein if you'd like to help.

Jeff

Back