DirectAdmin the feature ? (Genuine feedback no bashing)

spacecabbie

Verified User
Before i Start this post let me clarify, This post is not out of hate/unhappiness more out of love for DA.
If it leads to bashing or any unpleasantness then I request a admin to just delete it.

So I have been DA user for years from my beginnings running cms sites to my current jump into coding / hosting.
I have been somewhat surprised at the basic DA features I have now realized that the versions i used throughout the years where always quite modified by the hoster i was using.

For me starting hosting its been a ride forcing me to look and learn all aspects of my server.

Now i have done most of that. I have come to rest and had a look around. I got scared.
I have 10 years + experience in support. what I found is that DA is on the return.
Its not surprising since there are quite a few basic features on the other platforms not in directadmin.

So the questions.
What is DA's view on this are there any plans to overhaul ?
Is this perhaps intended ? DA is advertised as fastest Panel (and it is), I kinda like it since I can mess around and make my own features. It also has given my Linux knowledge a enormous boost.
From what it looks like DA is surviving due to its pricing (holy crap @cpanel price). Especially now they have gone up majoor hosters are switching to DA.
This wil mean unless the providers update and add custom features to DA install. Their users might be less happy.
Plugins made for DA are gone or not updated (a few core ones are still there) But throughout the years quite a few are abandoned.
So I am just scared users wil abandon DA and it might eventually cause DA updates grind to a halt as wel.

So Opinions ?
And please keep it civil this is not a lets bash DA tread but a genuine effort to make a feedback list for @DirectAdmin Support.

My conclusion?
After the feedback received DA is intended to be as it is. Fast and lightweight. The feed back here made me think a bit and sure Other panels or Modified had other options, But in the end it was all a gui interface on or around basic DA service.

So as I surmised here: Plugins. I really want to try and bring those back to life.

Last edited:
I've been using DA for over 15 years and I'm on this forum for over 10. If there's one thing I know, it's that nothing has changed for the worse. Updates have been coming steadily and I don't see any sign this changes.

There are changes in the market; be it competing panels or hosting companies getting bigger and being merged, and changes in software being used by end users, e.g. kubernetes, vps with single websites (for example digital ocean market place). Or website creators (SaaS).

DA is supported by CloudLinux which covers many extras including nodejs, which I believe to be an important shift in new software being made. But end users are usually behind many years of the developing curve, which gives most shared hosting providers enough time to adapt. For example Wordpress is still very popular and is easily maintained by a DA setup, with or without extra plugins such as installatron or whmcs modules.

I wonder what it is exactly that you are missing yourself?

I've been using DA for over 15 years and I'm on this forum for over 10. If there's one thing I know, it's that nothing has changed for the worse. Updates have been coming steadily and I don't see any sign this changes.
Oh without a doubt support and updates are wel near perfect. But if you do not adapt or innovate you risk being pushed out. (it happend to me in a long life ago made same mistake cost me my company)

There are changes in the market; be it competing panels or hosting companies getting bigger and being merged, and changes in software being used by end users, e.g. kubernetes, vps with single websites (for example digital ocean market place). Or website creators (SaaS).
Wel exactly and they kinda all prefer cpanel or plex. that is what worries me.

DA is supported by CloudLinux which covers many extras including nodejs, which I believe to be an important shift in new software being made. But end users are usually behind many years of the developing curve, which gives most shared hosting providers enough time to adapt. For example Wordpress is still very popular and is easily maintained by a DA setup, with or without extra plugins such as installatron or whmcs modules.

I wonder what it is exactly that you are missing yourself?

Now ? Actually nothing. There are features i like to see some i have voted upon on the forum.
When i Started i was distraught on what i had to do. Think of php selector and mods etc. I gave up quite a few times looked at alternatives but since they where even more strange or to expensive for me I decided to stick. As i said in the end i got it all done with some help. I am quite happy and proud that its my system mostly my config.

And sure end users are behind but there for isn't it now the time to look forward ?

Having to rely on plugins to keep a product like DA 'uptodate' with the rest of the market is not smart.
Plugins can be (and are) abandoned by makers, leaving people who use these in the dark or with heavily outdated, or incompatible versions in newer versions of DA.
For instance, why isn't something like (a simpler version of) Installatron a default part of DA?
Also, something as popular as Wordpress, a simple install-option could/should be available as default to quickly create a database and install Wordpress in one go.
Standard incorporated functions in DA have the advantage of being kept upto date over the years.

I see similar things happen with phpbb forums. Even worse; 'Common' functions available on other forums aren't seen as important by the staff, and sometimes 'shabby made' extensions are written by individuals, who usually lose interest and abandon their work after a while.

The 'downside' with built-in functions is that this all takes up more time and work for the coders.
But keeping your product uptodate and current trends and what the competition offers would seem like 'the thing' todo these days.

Make here on / with directadmin forum / support a Greater BASE platform for Plugins and their Developers. GPL LIcense system.

So if one leaves , other can do the work after that more easy, and having a more active community for those plugins themselves.

I mean with more sniksnak for who want or need and makes this all far more attractive for everyone coding on plugins.
Then together with extra support from DA support for the serious Plugin developers it would be great.

Now lot of yup are not .......

So something has to change there i guess being more attractive for everyone also developers ( give them maybe extra advertising options for themselves or companys if plugins are well managed and keep updated by them)

Then if for great plugins developers leave and no-one do the work after that , DA can decide to take over that plugin support yes or no themselves!
( AND HAS SOME EASY REVIEW AND TIMELINES YES OR NO IN TIME UPDATES OVERVIEW SYSTEM , TOGETHER WITH SUPPORTED VERSION NRS)

Please do not put to much such plugin ...... options in DA as base CP system , leave such appart for those wo want and need such. ( WHILE DOWNSIZE:: TIME FOR UPDATES AND MAYBE MORE BUGS IS NOT THE WAY TO GO FOR FOR A AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE BASE CONTROL PANEL)

Last edited:
Hmmm it's good to see the feedback I hope DA is reading along.
Basically as i wondered in originally post is what i am seeing by design it looks like it is.
DirectAdmin is intended to be lightweight without the bloated fancy stuff.

So From what i am seeing plugins are wanted for users like me and those who prefer easy of access.
Wel shouldn't that be easy to do ? We can at least start with indexing them keeping track of current statuses. Most of the current plugins are a bit hard to find you need to specifically search for them. Lets combine them on a centralized github ? Preferably hosted/controlled by DA.
As for the payed plugins well obviously we can't host them on github but we can link/reference them. If we start it off DA will hopefully pickup and helpout. Eventually integrate it directly into DA like installatron.

Plugin development could be motivated via rewards from DA license discounts etc.
I will Start a Plugin Tread later this week where i will post the indexed plugins.

Any other suggestions help etc are welcome.

For those that will moan but we are paying it should be free. Or this should be in basic functionality.
Well no, you might want it to be but systems that do have it cost allot more. (seen cpanel prices ?). The fact is witch is clear from the feedback here and all round DA is solid the stuff I though missing turns out to just be extra.

Having to rely on plugins to keep a product like DA 'uptodate' with the rest of the market is not smart.
Plugins can be (and are) abandoned by makers, leaving people who use these in the dark or with heavily outdated, or incompatible versions in newer versions of DA.

This is my experience with most software. Stuff like CustomBuild 2.0 feels like it is a core function of DA, as it is specific to DA.

Installatron and Softaculous are available on other platforms, so it perhaps makes sense for them to be plugins.

Back