Directory Security automatically gets wiped.

IT_Architect

Verified User
I put a user name and password on public_html, and add the password to my browser so I can develop without search engines scooping stuff. It works fine for a while. Then I discover over and over that it gets reset and the site wide open. Because it is WordPress, renaming index.php or moving it to a different directory does not work, because then you cannot develop with it because the WordPress environment is not available. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

When is it getting removed though? When you move the site away? Or Wordpress is doing it?

Either case, I believe if you use the DA directory protection, it will create htaccess/passwd files outside public_html, 1 level higher.

When is it getting removed though? When you move the site away? Or Wordpress is doing it? Either case, I believe if you use the DA directory protection, it will create htaccess/passwd files outside public_html, 1 level higher.
That's a very good question. I've never had it happen before, and since this seems foreign to you as well, it must not be very common. I was checking to see if I was missing something.

Thanks,
Jack

Are you already using the DA protected directory function for this? Or are you putting in the things in .htaccess in public_html yourself? And what happens exactly?

Are you already using the DA protected directory function for this? Or are you putting in the things in .htaccess in public_html yourself? And what happens exactly?
I used DA's File Manager to set a prompt, user name, and password.

Thanks!

Back