Disable calls to external servers (Google Fonts/APIs, Polyfill.io)

warg

Verified User
Hello,

I would like to know how I can disable the calls of the admin panel to Google servers, e. g. fonts.googleapis.com and fonts.gstatic.com, and other services, e. g. polyfill.io CDN, so it's served from the server itself for safety, security and privacy reasons.

Best Regards,

I'd like to note: if any fonts are included in a html or css file, they will be loaded by the client requesting the page, so you will have to replace those links to links going to versions served on your own box.

@k1l0b1t That might work as a temporary workaround but I think it will be overriden by a DirectAdmin update and I dislike to check every place of DirectAdmin for external calls. This should be changed in the software as it's a bad practice and hard to justify in audits.

Hello,

I would like to know how I can disable the calls of the admin panel to Google servers, e. g. fonts.googleapis.com and fonts.gstatic.com, and other services, e. g. polyfill.io CDN, so it's served from the server itself for safety, security and privacy reasons.

Best Regards,
Yup i did see this while some not working because of security settings here.

That was why i did made 2 post about that before.

And this one i also import i think

Yep, I was surprised that the referrer policy headers don't fit too. Both should be fixed as it's not good practice.

Hello,

Best Regards,
not disagreeing with you. You might want to post in the EVO (i assume you mean evo) forum or log a feedback here https://feedback.directadmin.com/

What's the EVO forum? Is there a section dedicated to the evolution skin?

I think leaving feedback isn't appropriate for this kind of issue as it would mean a midterm or longterm solution would be fine. It's not a typical feature request but a critical bug that shouldn't be at all in the system.

What's the EVO forum?
Is there a section dedicated to the evolution skin?
yes above
It's not a typical feature request but a critical bug that shouldn't be at all in the system.
There is not a real bug reporting feature at DA. It best to log a feedback or a support ticket.
I think leaving feedback isn't appropriate for this kind of issue
Not sure just trying to help you.

Thanks for the hint regarding the subsection. I didn't notice that one.

Okay that's good to know. I just know from other bigger companies that leaving feedback forms is like "yeah, we take a look in some months or years".

Not sure just trying to help you.

Sure and that's highly appreciated. I just wanted to express that I would dislike a mid- or longterm solution as this is a bit pitty.

Seems like I can't edit my #1st post anymore, so a moderator/admin would have to move it to the proper section. Sorry for that.

"yeah, we take a look in some months or years"
That exists here with DA as well. We aka me are not support though its a community forum. So the only real options are feedback and tickets. Not that they (DA support) dont frequent the forum it just not the best way IMHO.

I would dislike a mid- or longterm solution as this is a bit pitty.
completely normal.

its because you're a new member
No it's because other reply's already were done after his first post and also some time passed. After a certain amount of time you can't edit anymore. New or old user makes no difference. I was wrong.

Last edited:
I can still edit all my old posts. I found spelling errors from years ago and fixed them.

I even use external calls, yes, it's bad practice within a "secured" environment, it is just easier for developers.. eg. no need to keep remembering to bundle css/js/etc files in every update......

I think it's indeed better to not use the cdns. Since it means many servers in many countries and different use cases will start using external connections. Better to keep it all internal.

Question is, will it be worth the trouble to host all fonts locally or choose another font. It could also be a admin setting, either allow Google fonts, or use a font that does not need hosting.

According to support, there's no way to achieve this yet and the feedback page should be used. I'm not that satisfied with their responses (for different reasons; my previous statement is just a summary) but I accept it as they were right that trial licenses don't include professional technical support and I had forgotten that point. For me, this is a red flag meaning I can't use DirectAdmin without fixing it on each update on my own or documenting this properly and finding some clause under which this would fit from a legal perspective to make sure I'm compliant. Both is nothing I like to do.

According to support, there's no way to achieve this yet and the feedback page should be used. I'm not that satisfied with their responses (for different reasons; my previous statement is just a summary) but I accept it as they were right that trial licenses don't include professional technical support and I had forgotten that point. For me, this is a red flag meaning I can't use DirectAdmin without fixing it on each update on my own or documenting this properly and finding some clause under which this would fit from a legal perspective to make sure I'm compliant. Both is nothing I like to do.
As mentioned in the ticket - regular license would be required to make this a priority thing and an exception. If you were not planning to have a license of DA - feedback.directadmin.com is the best place for this.

Back