Disaster Recovery, best (self-hosted/admin) plan?

TomJones

Verified User
~2 months ago I did a YUM UPDATE, restarted the server, and the 1.5 year old SSD refused to boot. I thought I had an "ok" data backup plan in-place, but came to find out I had broken daily backups with a script change I did 2 months prior. Had to rebuild everything and recreate 2 months of work, could have been worse, but it took me the better part of a week to get to where I could at least sleep without dreaming about restoring the server.

So I'm now pulling user/admin backups daily to a local server dedicated to the task (which then pushes a redundant backup to another server once a week), but fresh of the recovery I'm aware of the time it took to custom configure the server after I had DA reinstalled. I am planning on using the Admin:System Backup once a month (with daily admin/user backups, I'm thinking once a month is enough), but the full backup is many, many Gigs of data (much of it redundant with the daily backups I'm doing). If my disaster recovery plan is assuming I'll need to do a fresh install of the OS/DA, can anyone suggest which directories/files I should be backing up that will make the recovery/customization faster?

Related question, I'm thinking it would be very useful to have a list of programs, PERL modules, etc., that are currently installed generated once a month, so I'd have a road map of customizations I'd be wanting to do if/when I have to reinstall. Has anybody worked with a script that could accomplish that?

Thanks!

BTW, I did already see this page: https://www.directadmin.com/paths.html
My directadmin directory is nearly 1GB alone, most of which I assume would be automatically reinstalled with the correct configuration. I'm trying to limit my backup to the essential files that would not be automatically reloaded when I reinstall.

We make /use snapshots / images. for base and .....

Then restore / backup whatever you need / want.

We make /use snapshots / images. for base and .....

Then restore / backup whatever you need / want.
Thanks ikkenben, I'll look into that option, it does give me an idea about doing a separate monthly snapshot.

Other question I had, is there a backup of the CustomBuild configuration I should be downloading? Just a list of the selected options in the "Edit Options" page of DA.

Back